Close

Technician

Best clear filament?

I am looking for a really clear filament. Which is the best? ABS, PLA, T-GLAS?
    Suggestions appreciated.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    there's a new one that's supposed to be a lot clearer than all those you mentioned. Came out a couple of weeks ago.
    Can't remember what it's called or who makes it. But there was an article on 3dprint.com

here you go - found it: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...Futura-HDglass

Senior Engineer
    I bought a roll of transparent ABS and when it is printed it just looks like white. Totally crap and it doesn't print well either.

Technician
    I have heard these stories. Thats why I hope someone has had a good experience.

Add postmahomeson on Facebook Add postmahomeson on Google+
    what you want is quality material remember miser is not always wiser. so even 2.5 cents a ml would make a difference in respects to abs, i heard toy builder labs is a good material and they have a nice assuring policy. i also like 3d monstr which is not a trinket maker 3d monstrs are high end affordable industrial post consumer grade 3d printers from 1 cubic foot volume capacity up to 8 cubic foot depending on the model , 3d monstr is a friend of eddie ( the admin)

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I've used transparent abs - wile not quite see-thru it's not white. and you can see thru it.
    Made some stuffing tubes for my sausage stuffer with it. And you can see where the sausage meat is - which is all that I needed.

Bear in mind that what happens is the light refracts through the little tubes you print with - so it can't pass thru in a straight line. And the more the light is deflected the less clarity a material has.
    The lower the print resolution the clearer the object will be as larger tubes refract light less than smaller tubes (layers). And filling in the gaps with the xtc transparent epoxy makes them much much clearer.

The new pet is supposed to be pretty clear even without the epoxy though.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    there's a new one that's supposed to be a lot clearer than all those you mentioned. Came out a couple of weeks ago.
    Can't remember what it's called or who makes it. But there was an article on 3dprint.com

here you go - found it: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...Futura-HDglass
    I ordered a sample of the red and clear, will test it. Will prolly take about awhile in delivery though -_-

Technician
    I am leaning toward the T-Glas or HD glass since they are PET. PET is completely food safe and is the material used in soda bottles etyc.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    you can see where the sausage meat is
    Lol, sorry.. Had to.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    So any results or opinions yet on the Futura-HDglass? Has anyone printed with it? I need a really clear material and am following this thread.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com