Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FormFutura HDglass

Dutch 3D printing materials manufacturer FormFutura is introducing its new transparent PET filament HDglass, which will allow 90% of light through it, and only 1% haze or distortion. HDglass is extremely durable, has excellent layer adhesion, and is FDA approved for use with food and drinks. The filament will be available in clear and in four colors including black, blue, red, and green. You can read all about the new 3D printing filament in the full story: http://3dprint.com/57124/formfutura-hdglass-filament/

Below is a look at HDglass:

Engineer
    brian, it looks like your link is bad

Looks interesting! Thanks for the heads-up.

Engineer-in-Training
    hmm, bit cheaper than t-glase. Since i haven't actually bought any of the taulman stuff yet other than a few sample strands that are still in the shipping plastic i might have to do a little comparo before i go for a full spool.

FDA approved? I am wondering; the filament is food safe/approved. But what about the print I make?
    My 3d printer is not FDA approved. If I first print with ABS, my print certainly won't be FDA approved.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjeltur View Post
    FDA approved? I am wondering; the filament is food safe/approved. But what about the print I make?
    My 3d printer is not FDA approved. If I first print with ABS, my print certainly won't be FDA approved.
    Pretty easy solution. Have a head for printing only food safe filaments. And have another for printing everything elese. Easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Pretty easy solution. Have a head for printing only food safe filaments. And have another for printing everything elese. Easy peasy.
    That would be a little too easy!
    How about the tube? How about the plate?
    Everything needs a certificate to be 'food proof'.
    Even transporting in a little paperbox; the box will need the approval.

Next step; how about the porous structure of the print?

Engineer-in-Training
    Again. All easy stuff. It is doable. Its not that hard. And it can be done for a reasonable cost.

Home Depot sells water tubing that is food safe, obviously since its for ice makers and other potable water sources.

For the build plate, experimentation would be involved but I bet you could attach a kitchen cutting board/sheet to the platform and extrude onto it thus isolating the build plate (non-food safe) from the extruded food safe filament.

As for transporting it.. go to a restaurant supply or even GFS/Sam's, they sell plenty of food safe containers to store and transport things in as well as storing the filament in a food safe container.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Again. All easy stuff. It is doable. Its not that hard. And it can be done for a reasonable cost.

You do realize that companies are working on this? Using 3d printing to make stuff for the public?
    Your solution is an homemade solution - which is not going to work via any law - correct procedure etc.
    You really want your kid to drink from such a 3printed cup..... cleaned in a dish washer and drink out of it again?

3d printing is more than an hobby.

I am asking/commenting this - because companies are approaching my company for solutions.
    And then they refer to such a claim of 'food grade filament'.

Engineer-in-Training
    As a business, well thats a different regulatory nightmare.

As for drinking and re-using, yes. Frankly if the stuff they all tell us would kill us, the human race would be extinct by now. Dealing with the traffic on the way to work this morning, that didn't happen. As a kid I camped and ate food off wood of unknown origins and if it fell, we picked it up, dusted it off and ate it anyway. Drank water from springs without filtering it. Swam in waters without lifeguards. Never wore a helmet or knee pads when riding my bike. Climbed trees. Played with matches. Had a pocket knife with me always (Boy Scout), even in school. Went hiking through Florida swamps and woods with little more than a compass and pocket knife to stay alive. Was never bothered by the sharks (only barracuda) when diving. Sailed in waves bigger than my boat. If I skinned my knee, my dad told me to rub dirt on it and go play. I have gone on plenty of dates through high school and beyond and never wore a "rain coat" if you get my drift. I have never used hand sanitizer. I have never had a flu shot. I rarely need an antibiotic for anything and its been at least a decade since I had a flu. The last time I took an antibiotic I think was the late 1990's when I had a bad case of strep throat I couldn't shake myself. By all rights, if the things they say will kill us actually do, I should have been dead long ago. More than half a century of doing all the "wrong" things, I am still just fine.

I have two granddaughters living with us and I let them play in the rain and run barefoot through puttles. I don't care if they put their jackets on, they will know when they are cold. They come inside when they get hungry. They don't own helmets or knee pads (except for volleyball and soccer). I let them climb trees. They run in parks. I let them fall from untied shoelaces and now they tie them because they understand why now. They swim in rivers, lakes, ponds and the Gulf of Mexico, sometimes by themselves. And I take them shooting, but not by themselves. Their older two sisters are just as healthy after doing all those things for a decade and a half too. I am sure they all will do girl versions of all the stuff I did. And I think they will survive it as well.

As for 3D printed items, to be honest, the sponge most people wash their non-3D printed dishware with is far more hazardous. Reasonable caution and alacrity is fine. Treating something like you should be handling it in a Hazmat suit when its uncalled for is not. Would I let the kids lick the bed of a garbage truck? No. Would I make them wash their hands after petting the dog? No. Do I wash the cutting board after slicing up chicken? No. Just kidding there As I said, reasonable caution. Yea it gets washed.

Frankly, hand sanitizer and all this germaphobia is gong to kill us long before any nuke does. Ever watch War of the Worlds (the 1953 version) or listen to it as Orsen told it? WE will be the martians without immune systems before too long if we keep this up. We have an immune system for a reason. Like muscles, if you don't exercise it, the damn thing is going to atrophy into uselessness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast