Close

Engineer-in-Training

First Layer Issues

I am having some issues with my first layers. I tried adding ABL to help alleviate this but I am still having troubles. I have taken ABL off for now to try and master this problem before adding more. I have measured and double measured that my nozzle height matches what the printer is calling for using feeler gauges.

My layers do not squats together nicely and I have adhesion issues. Colin advises me to lower the endstop till it gets nice and squished. This doesn't seem like a good solution. I want the printer to actually match the controller.

So what settings do I have wrong? What should I be slicing at? I have my first layer set as .3 and the layer height is .2mm for now. I have the extrusion widths set at the defaults, 200%.

What settings should I start playing with to get a good layer?

Engineer
    Even if your software is set up to perfectly match your hardware, if you aren't getting a good squish on the first layer, you have to lower the z endstop, which lowers your z=0, until you do get a good squish. First layer squish isn't something you can adjust in firmware/software, except by setting an offset or a certain start gcode.

Engineer-in-Training
    What size feeler gauge are you using?

Engineer-in-Training
    I move the nozzle tot .5mm and then use my .5mm feeler.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tsteever View Post
    I move the nozzle tot .5mm and then use my .5mm feeler.
    Try a smaller feeler, I am using 0.076mm, I wouldn't go that low at first but I would take a step down, you really want to squish that first layer.

Also, I would keep the first layer the same height of your Z axis slice. So 0.2mm
    Last edited by BLKKROW; 05-02-2015 at 11:01 PM.