Close

Hybrid View

Engineer-in-Training
    An interesting concept. I'm curious how well it performs though given that with the adjustment needle in place you'd effectively be extruding a tube rather than a cylinder. I'm also curious about the actual ability to adjust the effective nozzle size. The od of the extruded tube will always be at max based on the ID of the nozzle. The only thing that adjusts is the wall thickness of the tube and therefore it's ID. So while they are in fact adjusting the amount of material flowing through the nozzle, I don't see how they're actually adjusting the nozzle size.

Great concept! However, @soofle616 brings up a few good points, specifically with the performance of the adjustment needle. Also, where as they might be able to provide a layer thickness of 0.06mm to 0.01mm, the path itself will still be as "wide" as the nozzle diameter. But afterall, it seems like they're main objective was to create an extruder with adjustable resolution, so they may have accomplished that. I think the asking price for the xHead is reasonable on their campaign, so it might be worth buying one and seeing how it works!
    Last edited by MadeInYoungstown; 04-29-2015 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo