Close

Hybrid View

It's really a pretty smart idea by MakerBot. If they can find a way to limit the filament to only their own, they could afford to drastically drop the prices of their hardware (printers) by making their profits off of filament. Although we may not like it, in the long run, it will help the 3D Printing industry by lowering the price of hardware significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginationProgress View Post
    It's really a pretty smart idea by MakerBot. If they can find a way to limit the filament to only their own, they could afford to drastically drop the prices of their hardware (printers) by making their profits off of filament. Although we may not like it, in the long run, it will help the 3D Printing industry by lowering the price of hardware significantly.
    I rather want high price on hardware instead of paying a lot of $$ for filament that i will be using a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by Merko View Post
    I rather want high price on hardware instead of paying a lot of $$ for filament that i will be using a lot..
    I agree, but this is kinda how the 2D Printer market ended up so successful. People realized that they could have a printer for as little as $300 (15 years ago), so everyone went out and got one. They didn't realize how much the toner or ink cartridges cost until after they started going through it. Personally I'd like to see different companies go in different directions. I'd like to see more of the open source type things that can take any filament, as well as larger companies greatly reducing their prices to win over consumers with the hardware.

Lower Prices

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginationProgress View Post

<sarcasm>Yeah, because MB has demonstrated their commitment to keeping prices down </sarcasm>