Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't know... I'm not a Mechanical Engineer. But it would seem having the extra material at the center would make the reinforcement stronger. But if you want it to look more like intersecting planes... This will do it:

difference() {
    cylinder(r=10, h=10);
    cylinder(r=8,h=10); }
    for(i=[1:1:8]) rotate([0,0,i*45]) translate([0,-.25,0]) cube([9,.5,10]);

4__lines.jpg

If you want it the same as what your code did... Without being symmetrical, you can do this:

4___lines.jpg

Bur really.... What you were doing with the module definitions is the right way to do it. I was just messing around because of the "I could do it in 10 lines" comment. I certainly am not taking any shots at your code!
    Last edited by Roxy; 04-19-2015 at 01:34 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    A similiar thing - but fully parametric.
    And if you don't count the variables - it's five lines of actual instructions :-) Like I said - keep it simple.
    If you're wondering about the half mm translate on the cylinder you remove to make the actual cylinder hollow. It's just there so you don't have to hit f6 to see everything without the horrible green shading in.

$fn=100;
    cd=20; // cylinder diameter
    wt=1; // cylinder wall thickness
    ch=50; //cylinder height
    nr=3; // number of reinforcements
    tr=1; // thickness of reinforcements

difference() {
    cylinder(d=cd,h=ch);
    translate([0,0,-0.5]) cylinder(d=cd-wt*2, h=ch+1);
    }

for (i=[1:nr]){

translate([0,0,ch/2]) rotate([0,0,(360/nr)*i]) cube([cd,tr,ch],center=true);
    }
    Just change numbers at top and hit f5 :-)

And yes there are lots of programs - but you can only use rep-g (don't , just don't !) Makerwre desktop - way way better than rep g. And simplify3d - costs money but is worth it long term.
    This is because you have a makerbot clone with a mightyboard. And those are the only out of the box compatible programs available.

I would suggest using makerware desktop. But not the one you download from makerbot. You want version 2.4

There is a thread in the flashforge forum with it available for download.

Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-20-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    A similiar thing - but fully parametric.
    And if you don't count the variables - it's five lines of actual instructions :-) Like I said - keep it simple.
    If you're wondering about the half mm translate on the cylinder you remove to make the actual cylinder hollow. It's just there so you don't have to hit f6 to see everything without the horrible green shading in.

Just change numbers at top and hit f5 :-)

And yes there are lots of programs - but you can only use rep-g (don't , just don't !) Makerwre desktop - way way better than rep g. And simplify3d - costs money but is worth it long term.
    This is because you have a makerbot clone with a mightyboard. And those are the only out of the box compatible programs available.

I would suggest using makerware desktop. But not the one you download from makerbot. You want version 2.4

There is a thread in the flashforge forum with it available for download.

Thanks for the advice ( and the code). My end game here is that I am writing some code for kids to use to design and print up some rocket components. Thought I would get a few of the basic bits coded up for them as simple examples of how to do things. I am placing a premium on readability so that they can easily follow the logic of what is happening. Sometimes makes for verbose code, but hopefully makes things easier to get them going. Need to keep the frustration level to a minimum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12