Close

Thread: This could work

Hybrid View

Technician
    it might be possible IF the drip point is below the water level of the outer container

Technologist
    Harpo is correct. A simple syphon requires that the outlet (ie level of the valve that turns it into a drip) is lower than the inlet (level of the water in the outer tank). With a fixed syphon pipe, this is a challenge: it means that the initial difference in water level has to be more than twice the height of the build. Yhe inner water has to rise exactly the height of the build while still remaining below the outlet of the valve, and the outer water has to fall the same height while still remaining above the level of the valve. I suspect that there'll also be a slight issue as the pressure in the syphon will decrease as the height difference decreases, so you'll tend to have a high flow rate at first and a low flow rate at the end.

Incidentally, if you can live with these issues then you can get rid of the syphon completely.

Peachy2.PNG

However, I suspect that the pressure issue in particular will take some work.

(Edit: note that the water in the inner container is only a different colour to make it clear where the containers are. It's the same water).

1. The water level of the inner container relative to the bottom of the outer container never changes.
    2. The water level of the outer container relative to the bottom of the outer container is also amlost constant (its raises very slowly, and only because of the walls of the inner container).
    3. Its true, that the outlet must be lower than the water level in the outer container, but they can be connected via a fixed pipe(see my original design). To start the siphon (ie. fill the pipe with water), see my 2nd design (the one with two valves).

I will make a 3d design when i have some time.

I know its hard to believe, but its true.