Close

Thread: 10" Y Plate

Threaded View

Technologist
    After working out the interferences for putting the reinforcement on the underbelly of the Y-Bed Carriage, I started thinking why can't I just put it on the top. I am using a piece of cork for insulation between the heat bed & the wooden Y-Carriage bed & there is probably 7mm of clearance between the top of the cork & the heat bed. Of course the heat bed wires do stick down a little. What I have come up with is to use an 8mm - 8 sided cylinder bump all around the top & on both sides of the center triangle cuts in the bed. After printing one half in PETG, it seems to have more strength but still has some flex to it, so I gave this some more thought. I had considered putting some 1/8" brass rod into the edges, but came up with a simpler way to attach them by just cutting some grooves in the top & later melt them into it with a soldering iron. The brass would add only 2oz to the weight. Another benefit of the bump reinforcement on top is that it is 4mm above the top of the bed & just at the top of where the nuts are, so I do not have to cut any recesses in the cork for them. I may have to cut a little bit around where the wires to the heat bed attach. I attached a photo of the latest print & an openscad screen capture of what it should look like with the brass rods attached.
    IMG_7386_800x600.jpgY-BuildWith4xBrassRods.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images