Close

Threaded View

Technician

What do you want?

As I am getting very close to the condition of complete and ready for others in my 3D printer build, and I intend to release the design, I ask if it would be of much use.

The firmware, and a bit of host side software will be released under the MIT license. The HW design will be released under either a MIT or BSD type license (still deciding on that).

The simple design makes it easy to print replacement parts for almost everything, and at a lower cost than it is to buy the parts for the first one. So making a second one would cost even less than the first one (which costs about $150).

The basic features are:
    +About $150 total in needed parts for the complete printer, assuming single extruder (add about $10 per each additional extruder).
    +Up to 4 extruders.
    +Print speed up to 60mm per second.
    +PLA preferred, though works with ABS (no heated bed, speed control used to prevent warping).
    +Box frame, with fixed Y rail, and fixed height X rail.
    +Bed raises and lowers for Z movement.
    +Uses simple thread spooling to drive movement.
    +Uses a Parallax Propeller P8X32A MCU for its integrated controller.
    +Firmware is in two versions, one written in Assembly for the Propeller, and one in SPIN (a pascal like language for the Propeller).
    +Uses 3 Stepers for X/Y/Z movement (Nema 17 for Z, and two small steppers for X/Y).
    +Uses 4 ULN2803's for the current drivers.
    +Build volume dependant on how built. The original being 7 inches by 7 inches by 10 inches (x by y by z), though easy to scale as built up to 24 inches cubed (maximum structurally safe from my math).
    +Software controlled ALL-STOP.
    +Very Simple all metal hot end.
    +Frictional filament feeder.

And the only tools needed to construct are:
    +A drill press and two bits (can be done with hand drill + vice and a very steady hand).
    +A hack saw.
    +A soldering iron.
    +A Desktop Computer (laptop will work).
    +A Philips Screw Driver.

So I ask is there anything I should consider improving before I release the design and firmware? It is getting close, so this is the time for such considerations.
    Last edited by DavidS; 04-05-2015 at 07:47 AM.