Close

Engineer

Hotend temp - fluxtuations

I noticed that

when I watch the hotend temp on the LCD display.. it jumps wildly.. its set to 245 and it might jump down to 239 and then to 250 within 1 second.

Technician
    I doubt that is physically possible for the nozzle to actually swing that much that fast with the heater we have. I would hazard a guess of poor thermistor contact with the block.

Engineer
    I have a E3D v6 the thermistor is screwed down

I would perform PID tuning/calibration.

Be sure you have the correct thermistor selected for the E3D (1 I belive) and then run the following command from Pronterface:

M303 E0 S200 C8
    This will run the self PID tuning and you will have three values in the Pronterface console to plug back into Marlin on the appropriate lines.

See this site for a more in depth description or watch Tom's guide here (Highly recommended).
    swirvbox

E3d thermistor is 5

And you should pid auto tune the temp you plan to print at which is the S value

You are correct. It is 5. Derp. I print at anywhere between 185 and 270. Not on the i3v however. I have not had the hexagon up that high yet. I am still not as confident with that hotend as I am with my E3D.

I have already had to reseat the heater to the heat break once already with the Hexagon. What a mess it made as it puked plastic from the top of the heat block.

swirvbox

Yeah i had that happen too... I am saving my hexagon for my kossel i am building its a nice light all metal hotend.