Close

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse

E3D V6 vs Hexagon?

So, has anyone done any side by side comparison between these two hot ends? Or at minimum, anyone care to comment on their experiences (for those who have used BOTH)?

I am looking at making some design changes to my Taz5. Since I can't buy the LulzBot Hexagon, I would need to source the Hex from RepRap. Or I could go with E3D V6.

So, if you had the choice, which would you go with? Each has some advantages over the other. Frankly I am leaning toward the E3D simply because its more available and seems more mainstream than the Hex.

Engineer
    there was a thread on this a month or two ago. we had a big discussion on it. not sure where that thread is but to summarize...... if im not mistaken it ended up most of the people in the thread with the hexagon actually ended up switching to the e3d or had complaints about the hex. they look very similar exterior but i think the issue is that the bore of the hex is 1.8mm instead of 2mm like the e3d and most hot ends. this is an issue and its too small which causes jamming. with filament just a hair over 1.75 in dia your extruder drive gear and bearing will squish the filament slightly making it out of round and tight going into the hex. the e3d is a great hot end. i have 5 of them on 3 machines. they run almost 20 hrs a day 7 days a week and dont mis a beat. the e3d prints clean and i never get a jam. it has ptfe down the bore up to the heat break so it can still do 300c and stay slippery enough to print ninjaflex great. keep in mind i am biased since i dont own a hex. i was just letting you know what the others in the thread found. one guy took his hex a drilled it out to 2mm to get it to work without jamming. not sure what ever happened with that.

I use a hexagon hot end, the latest AO version. The filament is a bit of a snug fit however works a treat most of the time. I had to print a fan duct to blow air over the fins and use a 40mm fan -
    I like the way the heat canister and thermistor fit the hexagon - no tape required.
    I believe spares are more readily available for the E3D and will possibly switch when my hex stops working. I think E3D have just bought out a light version as well.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Well, problem is you can't search for E3D or V6 here. Try it.
    The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
    E3D, V6
    So I don't have any way to locate that or any former thread on the subject.

I am not having problems with the Hex. Well, technically. I like it. It works well. I bought the dual extruder (flexi-dualie) head and its equipped with Budda heads. Hate them. No fan. Its IMPOSSIBLE to print with Bronzefil, copperfil or brassfil with a fanless budda due to heat creep.

So I am working on a design for an all metal version of the flexi-dualie. I am not looking to replace the existing hex hot ends I have. I simply can't but any more Lulz' Hexagons which match what I have. So I am left with buying a Reprap hex OR an E3D. I see WAAAAAY more stuff out about E3D. More talk. More addons. More references. That tells me its far more accepted across the community than the Hex. Doesn't mean its better. Just means its more accepted.

So, thats where I am coming from here. I need new hot ends. But I can't search for E3D here so I am left with starting this thread in hopes of finding out something.