Close

A 3D Printer and a Sailboat, a 6 Month Expedition Begins

Nantes, France-based Lab-REV has recently placed 3D printers on sailboats, bringing the high-tech machines into literal new waters. The association has been working on not only putting the 3D printers out to sea, but also on an engine that can utilize cooking oil as fuel, and have built their own GPS navigation units using open source electronics. The printers on the boats are being used to print functional parts for the vessels, such as a prototype wind turbine, anchor cleats, and various brackets or clamps. Check out more details in the full article: http://3dprint.com/55537/lab-rev-3d-print-boat/

Below is a photo of an on-board use of the 3D printer:

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Dunno. I am an old school sailor. When I get on a sailboat, I get away from technology and back to earth, wind and water. Cell phones off. Electronic toys off. Unplug. Disconnect. Relax. Sorry, but having a 3D printer on a sailboat seems really out of place. to me. A tiller or wheel in one hand, a sheet in another. Thats how I enjoy a sailboat.

Do I use technology on a sailboat. Yea, limited though. GPS and marine radio, thats about it. This is how I sail...

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Dunno. I am an old school sailor. When I get on a sailboat, I get away from technology and back to earth, wind and water. Cell phones off. Electronic toys off. Unplug. Disconnect. Relax. Sorry, but having a 3D printer on a sailboat seems really out of place. to me. A tiller or wheel in one hand, a sheet in another. Thats how I enjoy a sailboat.

Do I use technology on a sailboat. Yea, limited though. GPS and marine radio, thats about it. This is how I sail...
    I need me a boat Look's like your having a good time!