Hi Philwire. I'm sure you are really excited bout getting into this. A quick word of advice warning though...buying your first printer can open the flood gates of negative cash flow...lol. It is a truly addictive hobby.

The i3 would be a great printer to start with. The folks on these forums have nothing but great things to say about the MakerFarm version (great support!). Buying a kit will help you learn how everything works and operates together. I'd hold off on any of the dual/triple/mixing extruders until you get your feet wet though. One is hard enough and multi-color printing is a bit new so support may be hard to find.

Size is always the 'big' issue for folks, especially new folks. There are inherent issues with going big not the least of which is print time. Big prints take a long time to complete. A 20cm3 print can easily take a day or more to complete and the chance of problems occurring during the print goes way up. IMO best to start small and then modify your printer to go big if you still want to once you get it all figured out.