Close

Student
    Follow Marc On Twitter

Different speeds for each extruder/material

Hello,

I am trying to print with two materials at the same time with slic3r on my flashforge creator pro, PLA and FilaFlex. When printed separately, I can get very high speeds when printing with PLA, but FilaFlex requires veeeery low speeds.

The problem is that most of the settings are configurable for each extruder but some, like speed, aren't.

Do you know a way to assign different printing speeds to each extruder? Do I have to change my slicer software?

Thanks!

Marc

Senior Engineer
    I don't know of any software that lets you do that.

If I needed to do it then I would make a file for each of the extruders then add them together with a text editor.

You can only do that under certain very specific conditions of model without a seriously large amount of work.

It would probably be easier to write a C programme that combined them.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    easy to do with simplify3d. Just use a different process for each extruder/stl file.

You pay for it - but it's worth the money.

Student
    Follow Marc On Twitter
    That's a good idea @Mjolinor, I'll certainly give it a try!
    @curious aardvark: can you confirm that you can give different speeds to each extruder, not only temperatures? I've been navigating through its feature lists but could not find any mention to it.

(****! and now Flashforge include a free copy of simplify3D!)

you can change every single aspect of the print for each process.
    The only thing I'd be wary of is different layer heights that don't match up.

ie: 0.3 with 0.2 would probably be a bad idea.

But 0.1 with 0.2 would work fine

You can use as many processes per print as you like, and each process has the ability to change any aspect of the print.

It's a very versatile bit of kit.

flashforge are giving away s3d ?
    Now that's a big selling point.
    (checks) well they're not exactly giving it away. If you buy a standard creator you have to buy it full price, If you buy a dreamer or pro - you get a discounted copy. But it's certainly not being given away :-)

And given the number of us users who are compalining aboutt he really crap infill - it has to get better soon - I hope lol

I just wish it had decent infill. I'm currently fighting a print with makerware, simply because it has super strong infill - 2 hours and counting and the only first layer that went down clean - I discovered I hadn't centred the poxy bolt holes properly and had to scrap that and start again.
    But at least I've had enough bits to know that my tolearances and measurements are good.
    If I can get it to actually print - it will work lol
    Going to take about 13 hours and I need 2 !

It's not even a complex print. Just one of those designs that doesn't want to play - and fairly big.

Doesn't look like it would be a bastard does it ? But it sodding well is !

I could put the first few layers down slow and hot with s3d and then speed it all up for a much quicker print than I'll get with makerware. But as its adjustable legs for a large planter in the garden - strength is the critical issue and s3d just doesn't currently do strong enough infill :-(

just lost the bloody tall bit.
    Might have to use some decent filament, this crap is warping too much. Sigh
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-04-2015 at 03:50 PM.

So another fail. Decided to try s3d and use 250% infill width - which does make it bond with itself.

And now s3d wants me to deactivate it on other computers - only ever used it on this one.

Yiou ever get the idea someone doesn't want you to do something :-)

Had enough for now.

I'll eat chocolate tomorrow and try to do this on the knp via slic3r - that could be fun lol

happy easter :-)