Close

Hybrid View

Add bford903 on Facebook
    Yeah rapid burnout will not work with Plasticast. Tried it myself and my results were similar to yours.

You could try silicone molds instead of rubber as a cheaper option. No vulcanizer, just mix and pour.

Good luck with their support. They were not helpful to me at all. They basically told me, "We make 3D printers, we're not casters." Then they wouldn't return my phone calls or emails.

I became fed up trying to achieve consistent results with FTX Cast. You're definitely more patient than I was. But you seem to be on the right track. Good luck and feel free to post your results here.

You'll enjoy this. This is what's happening inside during burnout. This is a 15mm sphere I put in the oven by itself, no flask or investment. The part I'm holding is the sphere and the bubble above is the material from inside. This happened at about 800F. Looks like coal. This is the material left over inside the investment when you pour your metal. I think this may be an inherent problem when trying to burnout any thermoplastic.
    IMAG0262.jpg

Looks like coal. -my guess is the material is partially some kind of alcohol, some photopolimer and some minerals added for the stability. And those minerals combust like this coal pieces. Now I am thinking if we rise the temperature really slow alowing the material fully oxidize and combust this may leave small amount of residual ash. my greatest problem for the moment is not the ash, it is the surface quality I am having after the burnout.

You could try silicone molds instead of rubber as a cheaper option. No vulcanizer, just mix and pour. - I will still need wax injector correct? And the silicone one may not give the same quality. I do not have any experience with this technique so far.

By the way, about the divesting liquid, how well does it work and is it expensive? I was doing mechanical divesting of Formula and I cannot say that it can win any stars in the favourite activities competition.