Rant incoming

I finally had a little spare time to resume testing yesterday so I made a few prints using a relatively simple band with some engraving bits on it. First print had five rings stacked together on the build platform and the second print had only one. I used the Auto-Supports generated in the software. First one printed but I wouldn't call it usable. There were too many on the build platform and they kinda fused together. Second printed but had some weird issues. Missing spots randomly peppered throughout the piece.
mms_img1999644911.jpg
Here it is in the software before printing. (Notice the supports in the program, and the same supports on the actual piece. Big difference.)
PrintTest.jpg

This morning I came in to resume testing. Checked the machine before starting and found this:
mms_img1273807451.jpg

Caused by...
mms_img-62897976.jpg

You can see where the film has separated from the cartridge. This has been a common occurrence with this new material and the cartridges. I believe this is happening during printing as a lot of my failed prints end up firmly stuck to the bottom of the vat. I think the piece gets stuck to the flim and tears it from the cartridge as the build platform lifts up causing the resin to leak out. As usual, 3D Systems says it's my fault by not loading the cartridges correctly and failing to clean the machine regularly.

I'm done with this material. Failed prints 60-70% of the time. Leaking cartridges. Extended cleanup of your piece from the mammoth-size supports required to get a decent print. Mucho-extended curing times if you want any hope of a good casting. Failed castings 60-70% of the time. The whole purpose of this material was to make burnout easier, and from what I've seen, it's just not there yet. As far as my testing goes, I've seen all I need to.

Verdict: FTX Cast is a waste of time and money and anyone who has the Projet 1200 should stay away from it for all the reasons I stated above. If you have a Projet 1200, use FTX Green and make rubber or silicon molds from the printed pieces. Or, if you are already set up for platinum casting, print with FTX Green and cast using phosphate-bonded investments with the rapid burnout technique. This method should get you high-quality prints and castings from your Projet.