Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I think I am with aardvark on this one. Unless there is a specific need, ie special layout or size constraints, its kinda a waste of print time and filament. I mean really, $5 gets you a keyboard that will likely outlast whatever you plug it into. Pretty sure it cost more than $5 in filament alone.
Apologies for responding to such an old thread, but while doing some research I came across this and felt compelled to make some points:

1. You will not find a mechanical keyboard for $5 or anything close to that range. Mechanical keyboards are distinguished from your typical cheap "rubber dome" keyboard in that the mechanical keyboard switches have much longer lifespans, improved tactile feedback, greater customability due to many different switch designs, and are generally constructed from more robust material. If you're not at your keyboard all day, these things may not matter to you. As a programmer, mechanical keyboards are very appealing (and from what I've head, such things also appear to typists, editors, and gamers who desire a high level of responsiveness from their keyboard).

Don't take my word for it. Do some research on "mechanical keyboards"

2. With that said, while 3d printing isn't the most cost-effective method of manufacturing anything, including keyboards, there are many types of mechanical keyboard switches (a switch is an actuator for an individual key) for which the actual keyboards are no longer being produced.

There are several switch designs like the Cherry MX series today that are widely available and popular, but purists may prefer other types such as the Alps SKCL/SKCM line of switches that stopped being produced some time during the 90s. I, for one, am looking for a new board using the SKCM 'Blue' (different switch types are typically given different colors), but no such board is currently in production, even though switches are still available.