Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
Umm, given that you can buy any number of fully functional usb keyboards for a few quid/bucks - why bother ?

Just because you can do something - doesn't mean it's worth doing.
Or am i missing something here ?
Funny enough, I was working on a printed mechanical keyboard prior to my other projects. I have 120 Cherry MX-Browns, a Teensy 2.0 and enough diodes for it. My plan was a 3d print base plate, with several 3d printed 'layers' that would make up the case. Just haven't gotten around to printing it yet...

I think to answer your question is, because we can. It's no difference then me designing my own printer. You're right, it does cost a bit more than a standard mechanical keyboard, but you get the chance to completely customize the look and feel of it. There are entire communities (deskthority and geek hack) which are devoted to mechanical keyboards, and many of those users build their own keyboards from scratch as well (usually with CNC or laser cut frames)

For instance, you could design a keyboard that omits the function keys, or adds in additional keys for a smaller space bar, or you can space the keys out further if you have larger hands, or curve them, you could also make any sort of layout, tenkeyless, almost anything you want. Building a mechanical keyboard is similar to our own RepRaps, in that there are AVR boards, and firmwares designed for custom layouts. Once you go mechanical, you can't go back