Close

Engineer

3DMe - 3D printing Photo booth By 3D Systems

You all know what a photo booth is I'm sure. One of those little boxes the size of an old phone booth which you go inside of at a shopping mall or movie theater and take pictures of yourself or friends. Well, 3D Systems has unveiled a 3D version of it, utilizing a 3D Printer and photo technology that is seen on their 3dMe web application here: http://cubify.com/store/3dme.aspx?apps_bn_3dme. 3D Systems has showed us once again how great they are at adapting this new technology to fit in with older concepts. The photo booths are called 3DMe Photo Booths. Here is a picture of one. Looks pretty futuristic huh?

3D Systems expects to have these photo booths functional in several malls and movie theaters by this coming summer, just 5-6 months from now. I am not sure the pricing, but if you go by the pricing from the 3dme website, it will likely be in the $65 range for a 5 inch model of yourself. The cool thing is that you can change your clothing and other features before printing. Here is the Official 3d Systems Press release.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Sort of reminds me of the first photographs ever taken... where you take the picture and need to sit there for an hour while it composed itself, lol I wonder how long you will need to sit in there before it's completed.. Neat idea tho.. looks like you are sitting inside a giant Mac.

Engineer-in-Training
    I see some pictures of the booth you get inside of, but then also the free-standing one that seems to just take 2D pictures. Do they just apply a 2D picture as an image map on an existing face?

The Sense and Capture units were terrible. I wonder if this is any better.