Close

choices choices (newb questions)

hi there folks im from Australia , new to the forum and new to 3d printing ...yet to get my first printer , just doing research on what models would suit , the choice is pretty overwhelming ive been on the net all day researching and reading this forum to get my head around the whole 3d print thing..

ive narrowed down my choices to

a divinci 1.0 and a 3d stuffmaker evolution ... both are around the 7 hundred AUS mark

just looking for some feedback on either model people have had or do own , good and bad feedback would be much appreciated .

is there any other models I should be considering?.
    These seem like good machines for the price but I wouldn't know hence me being here typing to you oh wise ones .
    Just looking to print general items nothing mind blowing , just a toy to muck around with in me spare time, the software side of things really seems to vary on what people like and expert levels of the user , im pretty computer literate and not scared of a challenge so any software tips would also be appreciated .

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Welcome Fear.

Price is just one component. You have to decide:
    - Whether to build a kit or buy finished (kit is obviously cheaper)
    - What size print envelope you need for your intended projects
    - What materials (filaments) you want to print with
    - Type of extruder (depends in part on materials)
    - What options you need (heated bed for example)
    - Is your intended (love) supported by an active community? (a good idea)

You'll get more help if you can answer some of these.

As above

I was also tempted with the Davinci however decided that a custom built one was my preferred route as I can get many spares next day delivery and tweak away at firmware and many , many settings - it is a very big learning curb though and can be very frustrating. The good thing about building your own is if a piece of hardware fails you are a step ahead as you will know how to replace it. The Davinci also uses custom filament cartridges which was another limiting factor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by truly_bent View Post
    Welcome Fear.

Price is just one component. You have to decide:
    - Whether to build a kit or buy finished (kit is obviously cheaper)
    - What size print envelope you need for your intended projects
    - What materials (filaments) you want to print with
    - Type of extruder (depends in part on materials)
    - What options you need (heated bed for example)
    - Is your intended (love) supported by an active community? (a good idea)

You'll get more help if you can answer some of these.

thx for the reply :

Im not afraid of building one myself seems there is a few on the market , I just thought a plug and play option might be better first up , but I will consider a build now you've mentioned it, il look into them . maybe something like one of these would be a better option?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3D-Printe...item259ba9abb5

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3D-Printe...item27f117796b

id be happy with 200 x 200 (most seem smaller) for a bed but for a better printer id cut size , after all this will be my first so I can always update, PLA material would be used.

I don't need a heated bed, and im hoping this is my goto forum for any questions I have to ask .
    Last edited by Fear no beer; 03-16-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Take a look at the Makerfarm i3v kits. These are open-source reprap kits that are getting very good reviews. The builder is reputed to be very helpful and has a good reputation. There is also an active community right here on this board.

Good luck.