Can I just hijack this thread a little. I'm feeling a little soapboxy today.

As a designer I don't like MyMiniFactory very much. I respect what they're doing, test printing their models, but even that I have some problems with. Are they testing it out on my machine? Do they know the first thing about how a Makerbot or Up! or Printrbot handles supports or nozzle width or layer height? Do we know what printer they tested it out on and that it worked?

I tried it out for this contest they're having and now that it's over I feel I can say MyMiniFactory completely misses almost every point that I want in a marketplace, and I don't ask for much. All I want is a place to:

* Upload my models
* Set my own description
* Set my own price
* Edit the files or description whenever I feel like it
* Sell the STL, not some streaming "solution" to my customers.

An option for customers without 3D printers to order prints would also be good. So far they get only the last point on the list, and kudos for that. But at this time I don't control my products or the files or descriptions involved. You upload the files and a description, but then someone at MMF makes and maintains the page for you. I don't want that, plus it's not scalable.

Eventually I see MMF developing an interface so that designers can edit their own models, but its already too late for me. Ponoko already lets me edit my own designs, set my own price, and, oh, allow my customers to even order 3D prints of the models they bought if they don't have a 3D printer. I feel MMF is run by enthusiastic designer, but their marketplace for other designers is running a step behind other services. I may check them out in 3-6 months, maybe they'll have their stuff together by then. But by then I will have my own marketplace on another site in full swing so there probably won't be much incentive for me to switch.