Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Autodesk Just Open Sourced Their Resin Providing Recipe to All

If you thought it was significant that Autodesk has made an open source 3D printing (Ember) running on an open source platform (Spark), today comes news that they have just open source their very first printer resin (PR48). They have provided the recipe for others to iterate upon or use for their own 3D printing projects. It should be interesting to see how the open sourcing of the resin formula leads to new, better resins in the future.

Read and see more, including the recipe at: http://3dprint.com/50225/autodesk-ember-pr48-resin/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I think this probably comes under the heading of: 'don't try this at home'.

There's no indication of temperatures, mixing times, when to add what, not to mention the need to do it all in a uv-light free environment.

I guess it's useful for other resin manufactuers.
    But without an actual 'recipe' not sure how much use it is.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    So, anyone else with a skeptical eye wondering why all this openness from Autodesk all of a sudden? They have kept such a tight grip on all things Autodesk for decades. There is something going on but I can't put my finger on quite what it is. There is an angle here.

Maybe its them finally realizing they don't have a monopoly in the CAD realm anymore. Dunno, something has changed at Autodesk.

And... Remember they said 6 months ago they were going to develop and Open Source some great 3D Printing OS? I think they called it something like "Spark". But I was thinking to myself "The Operating Systems are not the problem. Why would the Open Source people need AutoDesk to make them a whole new OS?" Well, sure enough, I haven't heard anything else about this new Operating System. My guess is they were going to try to use it to control people and their machines. But some how, they figured out that wasn't going to work.

Does anybody know what actually happened with their Open Sourced Operating System?