Close

Threaded View

Lightbulb DSLRigger - The open, 3D-printed and modular DSLR Shoulder rig

Hi!

I have been dreaming about a nice and stable shoulder rig for quite some time now. I've finally decided to make one myself, in 3D and sharing the design and adding new features as time pass.

I really like gadgets... and i want to add functions to my camera that I cant today. It can be anything from LED-lights to Microphones and handles etc. I really like to be able to have a base that can be a shoulder rig or even a cage-rig or why not a steadycam-rig.

So, for some time I've been thinking about designing a rig that can be 3D-printed. For base i will use 20mm diameter rods. On top of that i plan to start with the most common things:

Camera Base Plate
    The camera will sit on slide-able base that will have a bolt-on system for adding either your current quick-release solution or a 3D-printed version for your camera. A 3D-printed quick-release should work, but is not crucial to get the first version of the construction to work.

Follow Focus
    My goal is to have a geared follow focus system with different gear dimensions and possible belts as a solution for odd lenses. The follow focus will be slidable and fully adjustable to make sure its smooth and easy to use.

Matte Box
    A matte Box might not be the most crucial part, but it's something I always wanted. On it you can add things like mic-holders and LED-light, so its a good modular system for adding extra features to the rig.

Shoulder pad
    A adjustable shoulder pad is crucial to get a good load balance on the shoulder. Since we're all unique, the construction must allow for a adjustable angle on the shoulder pad. Battery slot and wire channels are a must!

I've just released the first episode which simply introduces the technology for those who don't know how to create 3D-models or how they are produced. Next episode will come shortly with focus on the base design. Stay tuned!

Last edited by AMID; 01-07-2014 at 01:58 PM.