Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to get started as a Modeler?

I consider myself an artist. I have an architecture degree, and have been an avid painter for most of my life. I really really really want to get into 3D printing, and would love to design some of my own things. However, I have no idea where the heck to start. Does anyone have any advice? I would be so grateful.

You first have to get to know the various 3D modelling software out there. There are several. Pick one and become extremely well acquainted with it. Just because you are an artist doesn't mean 3D modelling will come easy to you. Good luck. I also recommend reading this forum on a daily basis.

Student
    Blender is a free software and a good place to start. Zbrush and solidworks are fantastic if you want to invest ££ into software.

Student
    Also www.myminifactory.com is a place to get tested 3D printable files, you can also upload your own to be test printed.

Follow joealarson On Twitter Add joealarson on Facebook Add joealarson on Google+ Add joealarson on Shapeways Add joealarson on Thingiverse
    I hope it goes without saying, but the best thing to do is model something. Pick a project, pick a contest, work on an entry, fail, and try again. There's no better way than doing it.

Can't agree more Joel. Modelling is something that takes a ton of trial and error. You can learn so much when your item comes out of the machine a mess lol. Every mistake you make, take it as a lesson.

Student
    I guess I should have responded to your post, before this guy: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...&p=948#post948
    That being said, my feedback is the same. Hope it helps!

PS: Checkout out RedRick's response on this post for a suggestion of modellers to checkout: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ing-amp-design
    Last edited by CreativeCoPilot; 10-19-2013 at 05:29 AM.

I use Solidworks, Its very easy to use (Maybe the first days you will have to look up some tutorials but after that..)

You also have sketchup and blender and such but never used Blender, Only Sketchup for a minut and never used it again to be honest.

Student
    Yeah, Blender is getting better, but their UI is still a little off.

As for Solidworks, learning it WOULD be great, but I'm going to have to disagree with DrLuigi on the learning-curve. I guess I didn't find it quite as intuitive as he did. That's not to say it isn't an AWESOME program, and that I wouldn't LOVE to learn it, but I would still have to suggest trying Sketchup first. It's free, and after working with it, maybe you do find that it is too simple of an application. If that's the case- GREAT. You didn't pay any money for it, right? Move on to something bigger/better (Solidworks/Rhino). The only way I could suggest Solidworks to an absolute beginner in good confidence would be if they were supplementing it with classes. My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by CreativeCoPilot View Post
    Yeah, Blender is getting better, but their UI is still a little off.

As for Solidworks, learning it WOULD be great, but I'm going to have to disagree with DrLuigi on the learning-curve. I guess I didn't find it quite as intuitive as he did. That's not to say it isn't an AWESOME program, and that I wouldn't LOVE to learn it, but I would still have to suggest trying Sketchup first. It's free, and after working with it, maybe you do find that it is too simple of an application. If that's the case- GREAT. You didn't pay any money for it, right? Move on to something bigger/better (Solidworks/Rhino). The only way I could suggest Solidworks to an absolute beginner in good confidence would be if they were supplementing it with classes. My two cents.

Well i learned it with some Internet videos years ago,
    And now i learn it in school i am more of a teacher then the teacher himself, Wich is rather a pain in the ass if you ask me :P

Oh well, Sketchup is free and might be easyer to learn, Never realy tryed it since i had Solidworks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast