Close

Issues with printing circles and calibration blocks

I recently purchased a CTC dual extruder printer. Right out of the box it is making some great prints with just a bed level and an upgrade to Sailfish.

I am having some trouble printing circles and calibration blocks if anyone could help me. The 20mmx20mm calibration cubes come out to nearly exactly 20mm on the x-axis sides, but the y-axis sides are always a bit under, coming in around 19.60. Circles also seem to have perfect dimensions on the x-axis sides, but on the y-axis sides (towards to front and the back of the printer) the side flatten out a bit. They may be slightly oblong, I cant quite tell. At first I though it may just be a stepspermm issue which I could modify, and perhaps it still is, but when I printed the double-values-square-calibration object, the one square in line with the y-axis was 20.05mm, while the longer side came in at 39.65mm. Can anyone offer advice on what may need fixed or modified?

Here is a picture of whats going on:

You might be able to see that the fill material didnt quite reach the one side of the calibration L either.

My goal is to print fitting parts to prototype parts for my machine shop, and unfortunately it couldn't quite print the working nut/bolt combo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    If it is consistent over many prints, it wouldn't be hard to figure a distortion factor in to your Y axis. I would just print out something 100mm x 100mm also to check if the percentage is right. At 39.65 you are only off by .88%. Run your y axis at 100.88% in the slicer then print a 100mm x 100mm by 10mm box and check that. It's also possible that the material is shrinking front to back a little more because of some sort of cooling effect.

To change this in the firmware might be a possibility, but you want to check if the error is the same on different filament brands and colors.

Thank you for that, I believe that test has now eliminated it being a steps/mm issue. I created a 100mm square in SolidWorks and the x-axis side was at nearly 100mm on the nail (about 99.98mm), but the y-axis was again off by the same ~0.4mm. So I'm assuming something mist be amiss somewhere in the y-axis. 0.4mm of backlash (at least that's what we call it in the shop). Can anyone provide pointers as to typical issues?

Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    It is tough to say on that, if it were a percentage thing the error should have been 2.5x as bad at 100mm which says the part should be 99mm or so.

I would hop on the Flash forge google group, there are some very knowledgable guys on there that will be able to tell if this is a software error thing maybe in acceleration or something more mechanical.

I think a taller 100mm test object would help to see if it will get smaller in size in one direction further up the print.

Thank you for the responses jfkansas, I think it may actually be the Y-axis rod bending under tension, in which case the pillow block upgrades may sort this issue out. Fingers crossed!

Super Moderator
    Ya, Pillow blocks helped on earlier flashforge wooden printers, but the creator X and Creator Pro already have pillow blocks. Not sure where the CTC printer fits in there, I guess it depends on how old it is. The CTC is a clone of the Flashforge which are both clones of some older model Makerbots.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD1001 View Post
    Thank you for the responses jfkansas, I think it may actually be the Y-axis rod bending under tension, in which case the pillow block upgrades may sort this issue out. Fingers crossed!
    What machine type do you have selected in the profile?

Technician
    I have solved several mysterious problems by tightening the set screws on the idlers and especially the motor pulley. If slightly loose the motor pulley might have to rotate a fraction before ir grabs.

Thank you all for the input, I think I was able to finally isolate the issue. The belt driving the y-axis off the motor was slightly loose, so I loosened the floor bolts holding the motor, and adjusted it to tighten the belt. After this my calibration cubes were within 0.08mm on both sides. I just printed the pillow block bearings also, do that should further improve the quality. I truly appreciate all the help you all have given me.

Also what do you all recommend using for the slicing profile?