Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Engineer-in-Training

Anyone have a Simplify3D profile for a 12" I3V they could share?

Been trying to get a profile made for my 12" I3V but I am missing something because my extruder is running way too slow and not putting down any material. I have the Hexagon Hotend with .40 nozzle and 3mm filament.

I have went through the settings about a dozen times and don't see any issues.

Thanks,
    Chadd

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    single or dual extruder ?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    single or dual extruder ?
    Single extruder.

Technologist
    Am having the exact same problem as he 1.75mm .40 nozzle Single extruder for now am using PLA. I just can't seem to get it to work and extrude correctly. I have also looked threw setting quite many times. Also same printer i3v 12.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Well, the speeds and even the infill percentage of 20% seems reasonable. I'll leave the ABS temps for others to address - I don't print enough ABS to offer advice on it.

Yeah, the hex does seem to drool. I try to make sure I've got adequate retraction enabled, and figure that's about the best I can do.

Engineer-in-Training
    What do you normally use for retract distance and speed?

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Well, the speeds and even the infill percentage of 20% seems reasonable. I'll leave the ABS temps for others to address - I don't print enough ABS to offer advice on it.

Yeah, the hex does seem to drool. I try to make sure I've got adequate retraction enabled, and figure that's about the best I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    What do you normally use for retract distance and speed?
    I've been using 15mm/sec as a retraction speed for the last several months. I'll vary the retraction distance a bit just as something to tweak on prints, but I'm usually in the 1.5mm to 1.8mm range with the 1.75mm PLA I typically use.

For both of you, have you proven the problem is unique to Simplify3D? You've tried a different slicer and see the print come out fine? You're not giving enough information to know whether problems like improper nozzle gap at the glass, blocked nozzle, stripped filament, clogged hobbed bolt, binding hobbed bolt, large gear binding on the carriage wheel bolts, slipping small gear, or extruder motor drive problems etc can be ruled out.

Does the problem continue beyond the first layer or you always stop the print on the first layer? Have you tried increasing the amount of gap at the nozzle? If you think you have it set right, try setting the gap larger anyway as a test. The majority of problems with lacking extrusion on the first layer are caused by too small of a nozzle gap, regardless of slicer.

I don't have a settings file for the 12-inch, but I openly publish the day-to-day settings for my 8-inch printer in my build thread, organized as the settings appear in Simplify3D tab by tab. Those are available for comparison. There's only one minor area where build volume comes into play, and one other setting to address filament diameter. http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post39620. Move down to the third code scroll box in the post.
    Last edited by printbus; 02-12-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes, slic3r extrudes just fine.

I redid my profile for S3D last night and ran a print. It did print and looks very good other than I still don't think it is extruding the correct amount. I have it set for 3 top and bottom layers and on the top layer there are voids, considering it printed 3 there shouldn't be any voids in the final layer.

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    For both of you, have you proven the problem is unique to Simplify3D? You've tried a different slicer and see the print come out fine? You're not giving enough information to know whether problems like improper nozzle gap at the glass, blocked nozzle, stripped filament, clogged hobbed bolt, binding hobbed bolt, large gear binding on the carriage wheel bolts, slipping small gear, or extruder motor drive problems etc can be ruled out.

Does the problem continue beyond the first layer or you always stop the print on the first layer? Have you tried increasing the amount of gap at the nozzle? If you think you have it set right, try setting the gap larger anyway as a test. The majority of problems with lacking extrusion on the first layer are caused by too small of a nozzle gap, regardless of slicer.

I don't have a settings file for the 12-inch, but I openly publish the day-to-day settings for my 8-inch printer in my build thread, organized as the settings appear in Simplify3D tab by tab. Those are available for comparison. There's only one minor area where build volume comes into play, and one other setting to address filament diameter. http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post39620. Move down to the third code scroll box in the post.
    Last edited by Chadd; 02-12-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Yes, slic3r extrudes just fine.

I redid my profile for S3D last night and ran a print. It did print and looks very good other than I still don't think it is extruding the correct amount. I have it set for 3 top and bottom layers and on the top layer there are voids, considering it printed 3 there shouldn't be any voids in the final layer.
    OK, good. The issue isn't unique to the first layer. Remember that those reading can only help based on the words that are used. The original post said you weren't extruding anything.

No, there shouldn't be voids after three top layers. But I personally feel that between Slic3r, Cura, and Simplify3D, S3D does the best in applying proper extrusion volume. It's been my experience that top layers are rarely perfect. Are the voids in between the lines, or just at the ends of the lines? Maybe a photo would help convey what issues you have.

Depending on the print, height issues on the first layer can replicate through the print and lead to quality issues on the top...

What kind of infill is the top layer over? If you're not running much infill, IDK, maybe 3 top layers isn't enough. What print speed is being applied? Have you tried going slower? Is S3D set to auto for extrusion width, or are you manually setting it?

Have you calibrated the DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT for the extruder? MakerFarm defaults tend to have the filament feed rate set to the low side, leading to a risk of underextrusion. You're actually measuring the filament diameter and loading that measurement into the slicer as the filament diameter? I think you said you're using 3mm, but I know there's a lot of 1.75mm filament out there that is actually in the 1.68mm to 1.70mm diameter range - again leading to the risk of under extrusion if that's not adjusted for in the slicer.

Sorry if this is all obvious stuff to you - just trying to cover the basics in case it's not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast