I have also purchased a Solidoodle Workbench and have found MANY items that need to be corrected before the machine will print. Along with the Y-axis slide being locked up I also noticed the drive shaft along the top back wall (that drive the y-axis belts) has no way of retaining itself. What I mean is the shaft is just straight and can be pushed out of the bearing either way. This was remedied by two locking collars, one on each side inside the frame. Getting the correct software was a whole other ordeal. The XP software wouldn't communicate with the machine so I had to use a newer computer with Windows 7 to finally get that to work. Once the machine would jog I tried a print and found that the x-axis carriage when going to the home position interferes with the bed supports (where the z-axis screw drives the bed up and down). I made a sketch of what I saw and sent to Solidoodle and asked how to fix this without having to grind a notch in the z-axis bed bracket for the x-axis to clear....what a shocker! No reply from Solidoodle yet........I am giving this a few more days and then asking to return it. I guess I am spoiled by the first Makerbot I received that came out of the box and was printing parts a few minutes later. Yes this is cheaper, but with all the time and frustration, I am not sure its really worth it.