Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good 3D printer for ABS plastic enclosure for electronics, including threaded holes?

I plan on making a purchase on a 3D printer in the ~2k range specifically for ABS plastic enclosures for electronics, meaning a complete box with a removable hood and holes for ports, switches, and such. For example these types of enclosures:

http://www.polycase.com/surface-mount-dc-series

So I need something accurate (to fit cutouts) and threaded holes. If the printer is accurate enough to make plastic screws, that's great, but if I need to get the screws externally that is fine too.

Engineer
    the printer will not print threads. you will need to tap the holes. you are also going to have a big problem with warping printing with abs on box enclosures like that. your going to pull your hair out trying to get that to work consistently. pet plastic would probably be the plastic of choice for that. only other one good for that would be pla BUT it does not tap well and will sag under any warm temp.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    the printer will not print threads. you will need to tap the holes. you are also going to have a big problem with warping printing with abs on box enclosures like that. your going to pull your hair out trying to get that to work consistently. pet plastic would probably be the plastic of choice for that. only other one good for that would be pla BUT it does not tap well and will sag under any warm temp.
    So there are NO printers that will make threaded holes? What is pet plastic? A different kind of plastic material?

Engineer
    the only threads you can make on a 3d printer will be big ones. the end of a broom handle for instance. you will never print threads for say an M3 screw. pet is another plastic. same thing as what water bottles are of.

the only threads you can make on a 3d printer will be big ones. the end of a broom handle for instance. you will never print threads for say an M3 screw. pet is another plastic. same thing as what water bottles are of.
    Damn, seems like 3D printer technology isn't far enough along than I thought.

Engineer
    do you realize how micro fine the threads are on an m3 screw? holes with threads that fine arent even done in injection molded parts...usually. its done after the fact. you will never do that. a 3d printer will print the box with the hole in it but it will need to be tapped

do you realize how micro fine the threads are on an m3 screw? holes with threads that fine arent even done in injection molded parts...usually. its done after the fact. you will never do that. a 3d printer will print the box with the hole in it but it will need to be tapped
    Are 3d printers accurate enough to make a hole for a hex nut to manually insert and use a long machine screw on the other side of the box? Something like this:

Where the red part on the bottom is the hex nut, and the blue part is the machine screw, obviously the machine screw goes through a internal hole in the box connecting the machine screw to the hex nut.

Engineer
    absolutely. i make electronic gauges and the enclosure is a box with a captive nut just like that.

Ok cool... maybe I will be investing in a 3d printer soon afterall

Ok, so back to my original question... which would be good? One that supports pet plastic? Any other parameters I should look for?

Engineer
    gotta have a heated bed. its pointless these days to get a printer without one unless you plan on never printing anything other than pla. extruder needs to handle 260deg. other than that, do your homework and research printers. the market is flooded with junk and fly by night companies. with that said its best to stay away from those real big names as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast