Nancy, no, I haven't done it before. I am on a list to donate time to printing human hands in my area. So far, I have not gotten the call but am excited about that too.

I'm in Baltimore, Maryland. And I know little about how prostheses are attached. Much of the basic structural mechanics is straight forward. Now, before I insult prosthesis designers here, I realize the tremendous amount of time and design that goes into modern appliances.

What I'm referring to is a peg that attaches to a limb. That's sort of what we are talking about for doggy Eddie. We need a fake paw that will attach to his leg and take the pressure of of the stub so he can romp around without bloodshed and without it falling off. And we need to do this for under $30K...right?

Since we can't staple it to him, that's going to be the overarching challenge, keeping the thing on when he runs. It's going to take some research and some trial and error. The place to start might be with a prosthetic supplier. It would be good to see the various "attachment" strategies and borrow from them.

What I do have going for me is that I'm an Industrial Designer by degree. So, this is what I get into. I have been running a 3d animation and illustration studio for 19 years so I'm also very good at modeling and 3d design. I just happen to have a 3d printer.

Are there any dog prostheses out there on the market at all? Have you searched? I guess if we are going to do this we'll have to learn it together.