Quote Originally Posted by mstyle183 View Post
Thanks for covering this story again... I want to make clear a couple of things. You can check updates on this case at politicalsculptor.blogspot.com.

My lawyer Christopher Jon Sprigman professor at New York University school of law has responded to Katy Perry Lawyer's twice. Katy Perry has yet to reply to our second letter and has yet to prove copyright on this un copyrightable shark outfit.

Like i said I went into this because i wanted a left shark for myself and if it sold and made a couple of bucks that would be even better. I didn't go into this trying to steal money out the pockets of Katy Perry or her lawyers and i honestly didn't think you could copyright props like beach balls, palm trees and shark outfit. I complied with Katy Perry's lawyers nastygram aka cease and desist without any legal backing. I contacted her lawyers to get a licensing deal or offer royalties but i was not given such opportunity. I only thought about fighting this fight after many lawyers including my lawyer advice me that Katy Perry cannot copyright an outfit or usable item. Mickey and spiderman are very different cases because the spiderman and mickey mouse were copyrighted before making large outfits and halloween clothing. However, these lawyers did not expect this backup dancer to go viral hence probably never copyrighted anything.

This case is worth fighting for me because this is an issue where lawyers and corporations are trying to privatize socially created ideas and shutting out artists, small business and entrepreneurs. Many companies have attempted to do so by trademarking can't Breathe, Je Suis Charlie and internet memes. This kind of stuff will hinder the raise of the creative and makers class just like patent trolling is hindering technology..

http://www.hamptoninstitution.org/le...l#.VOij77DF9TN
I dont think they are trying to copyright the shark outfit. The entire set at the show, which includes the sharks, the idea of the 'left shark' being slow and drunk, the beach balls etc... Together form the copyright, which was her performance. I dont think you get it, your lawyers will find out though. Who came up with the idea of the left shark? You or Katy? Her idea, her earnings. Just letting you know how it's going to work out.