Close

Hybrid View

Engineer-in-Training
    What type of modeling? Free form surfacing, mechanical assembly modeling or basic shape creation? Most industrial designers that interface with mechanical engineers prefer solidworks. Higher end applications creo and catia. If you're doing basic stuff autodesk may provide more tutorials and an easier path to learning.

Solidworks is pretty predominate in my region which is in the great lakes region for most small to mid sized companies and easy to use. It's parametric features are handy when doing assemblies where geometry of parts may change but clearances and relationships between features needs to be constant or equation based geometry like gear teeth. It would bemy reccomendation for a solid mid-level modeler.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
    What type of modeling? Free form surfacing, mechanical assembly modeling or basic shape creation? Most industrial designers that interface with mechanical engineers prefer solidworks. Higher end applications creo and catia. If you're doing basic stuff autodesk may provide more tutorials and an easier path to learning.

Solidworks is pretty predominate in my region which is in the great lakes region for most small to mid sized companies and easy to use. It's parametric features are handy when doing assemblies where geometry of parts may change but clearances and relationships between features needs to be constant or equation based geometry like gear teeth. It would bemy reccomendation for a solid mid-level modeler.
    Thanks for the info. It really sounds like Solidworks is my best bet for what I really plan on doing I guess. I do quite a bit of modeling in smaller programs, like Tinkercad (It has a lot of great uses!) but when a customer asks me for a specific type of model being created with exact dimensions, and such, I end up having to outsource that modeling work to someone with some good software like that. Guess I'll have to acquire me a copy .

Side note, I'm from Northern Ohio too. Up by Lorain county myself. How about you?