Close

Newby Needs Direction...

Hey Guys... I am diving into this 3D printing as part of my business and would appreciate some guidance in a few areas. I am looking at buying a "Flashforge Creator X Dual Extruder Printer" and using "Makerware" to create the print files. I am needing a portable scanner that I can take anywhere to scan people and/or cars. Is the ISense the only one available for Mac and is it worth a crap? Goal here is to scan a little league baseball player in his batting stance, then print a model of him. May do the face with ball cap on also. What suggestions or tips can you give me. I have been a Mac graphic designer for 25 years so I understand the Mac OS , etc... I appreciate any help you can throw my way. Thanks in advance!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    my advice is to wait a few months.

The next generation of intel based tablets will be coming out this year, with built in stereo cameras and 3d scanning a high priority.
    Tablets are way cheaper than standalone scanners.

Looking at the isense, not seen any reviews, but it never crops up on discussions about 3d scanners. So it's either useless, or very new.

We won't get into my opinion of apple and it's hardware. (suffice to say I'm banned from picking up my mate's ipad air and saying: 'bloody hell this is heavy')
    But i can't see the isense being much good or it would have cropped up in discussions before now.

decent info page and review: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...anner_for.html

It's certainly cheap enough and the specification should be suitable for your purposes.

My advice, find a shop selling them and take a test image and see if it does the job.
    But take your own scan, not a downloaded pre-processed sample.

Thanks for the insight... I have read several reviews and watch numerous videos on the ISense and the downloadable App for Ipads called "itSeez3D" which turns your Ipad into a 3D camera. No where as good as what is coming but for now these look like they can fulfill my needs for what my goals are. Here's a video on the items: itSeez3D

Is it my understanding that whatever I use to scan with, I can transfer the image scan , then open the file in "Makerware", adjust as needed, and save as a print file for the "Flashforge Creator X Dual Extrusion Printer" which replaced the "Dreamer" printer?

Good advice help it.mac os is nice one.