Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Derby the Dog gets 3D Printed Legs

We've seen 3D printing come to the aid of those humans that are missing limbs. Now one dog, named Derby is the benefactor of 3D printed prosthetic legs, thanks to 3D systems. Derby was born with 2 deformed legs. While doggy carts works they didn't give him the freedom that other dogs have, so he foster mom, Tara Anderson (also an employee at 3D Systems), created him some 3D printed prostheses, and they are quite amazing. He can no run like regular dogs, have fun playing, and more. Read and see more at: http://3dprint.com/31337/3d-printed-...etic-legs-dog/

Engineer-in-Training
    That's awesome.

Costs and feasibility

I am a Veterinary Technician outside of Philadelphia and was very impressed and excited by this story. I wanted to know, going forward, what are the plans for making these kinds of prosthetics available, how would a potential client start the process with you and is there a cost range? I would be more than happy to share this info with clients and my boss. I have already forwarded the story along to my boss. We see many dogs and even some cats that do not have use of their legs/lose use due to injury and even cancer.

Thanks in advance!
    lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    We've seen 3D printing come to the aid of those humans that are missing limbs. Now one dog, named Derby is the benefactor of 3D printed prosthetic legs, thanks to 3D systems. Derby was born with 2 deformed legs. While doggy carts works they didn't give him the freedom that other dogs have, so he foster mom, Tara Anderson (also an employee at 3D Systems), created him some 3D printed prostheses, and they are quite amazing. He can no run like regular dogs, have fun playing, and more. Read and see more at: http://3dprint.com/31337/3d-printed-...etic-legs-dog/

Engineer-in-Training
    Lisa,

The article was linked through here but I don't believe the people involved are actually members of this forum. The article mentions the following as people/companies involved in the project:

3D Systems, their Freeform Product Manager, Kevin Atkins, and ABC Certified Orthotist at Animal Ortho Care, Derrick Campana

You may have better luck contacting them directly for more info.

Lisa,

You could start your research by reading this thread:

http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay...-Robotic-Limbs

Old Man Emu

Red face Our bunny with two front feet only

This is so awesome and such a happy life these have given this sweet companion.

Can something like this be made for a rabbit who has no back feet? Our house rabbit (rescue) Micah has no back feet. He runs like the dickens on his legs but I am worried that this will cause problems in his future? Is this possible for him?

Here is Micah running with no feet. He is quite fast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ISI2Juxrk

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well the thing about 3d printing is that the designs can be modified and printed on just about any desktop computer and printer.
    The new taulman pte based filament would probably give the right combination of flexibility, stiffness and durability.
    Flexible pla would too - just not sure about it's long term durability.
    You don't actually need an industrial $300,000 printer and team of professionals.

Something similiar could certainly be made for a rabbit :-)

That said, the rabbit looks fine as it is.

It's obviously well adapted and maybe changing how it moves might possibly do more harm than good.

There's a few organisations that put people with printers in contact with people who need prosthetics - maybe it's time there was something similiar for animals - unless there already is.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-19-2014 at 05:53 AM.

Derby the Dog is a canine that was born with two front limbs that were virtually unusable. When how owners could no longer care for him, Tara Anderson, who happens to be 3D Systems’ Director of CJP Product Management, fostered him and decided to see what the company that she works for could do for him. Together Anderson and 3D Systems Freeform Product Manager, Kevin Atkins, and ABC Certified Orthotist at Animal Ortho Care, Derrick Campana, came up with a design for prosthetic limbs that would allow Derby to run and play just like any other dog. Just a year later and Anderson and 3D Systems released a video updating us on Derby’s progress and things could not be different for him. You can read more about Derby’s update over on 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/113104/update-on-derby-the-dog/