Close

Woman Kickstarts 3D Printed Soap Jewelry Project

3D printing sparks the imagination, but for Lily Su, founder of "Yours in Soap," 3D printing has soaped her imagination. She's been designing intricate soaps for a while, including a fetus soap that sells well. She's now launched her Kickstarter campaign to raise $5,000 for her travel soap jewelry idea. These pieces are both original and functional--and a great conversation starter. This takes 3D printed jewelry pieces in still another surprising direction: from stone to soap. More details on this story can be found here: http://3dprint.com/27540/3d-printed-soap-jewelry

Below are some pictures of this 3d printed soap jewelry:

Follow joealarson On Twitter Add joealarson on Facebook Add joealarson on Google+ Add joealarson on Shapeways Add joealarson on Thingiverse
    I make a lot of stamps for soap makers, so I'm marginally interested in this. But I'm not sure about wearing a piece of rapidly shrinking soap add a bangle.

Add bford903 on Facebook
    I'm concerned that the soap would cause irritation where it contacts the skin as you wear it throughout the day. The jump rings appear to be soap as well which makes me wonder if it would deform on a hot day. In Texas 110 degrees Fahrenheit is not uncommon during the summer. Cool designs though.

As a solution I imagine one can simply 3D print a thin backing to the entire necklace or bracelet. This way there is no contact with the skin. Soap can cause irritation, but that depends on the individual I assume (allergies, etc).

I assume there would be a backing so soap doesn't rub off on skin.