Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Magnetic 3D printer Filament - can be used for data storage

Protoflux is a new 3D printer filament which is PLA based and printable on any printer that can extrude PLA. It has properties that allow for magnets to be attracted to it. What is even more interesting, however, is the fact that this means we will be able to 3D print products which can store magnetic data. Think a floppy disk or a hard drive. This same type of technology can now feasibly be added into 3D printed objects if done correctly. What do you think? How difficult will it be to "program" and "code" this technology into 3D printable designs, using this new filament? Read and see more at: http://3dprint.com/26823/protoflux-magnetic-filament/

Student
    Follow Frankendaddy On Twitter Add Frankendaddy on Facebook Add Frankendaddy on Google+
    I am really interested in using this material. What is the cost and availability? Is it possible to get specs on the material?

Technician
    Add ZorAxe on Thingiverse
    Hmmm... Data storage in plastic printed parts. I wonder how stable it would be.

Student
    Follow Frankendaddy On Twitter Add Frankendaddy on Facebook Add Frankendaddy on Google+
    I really don't think that data storage is the main application for this filament. It would be nice to have access to some specs on the material and information on things like how electrically conductive it is and how it conducts magnetic flux. Their website does not give much info. What I'd really like is a sample to fiddle with...