Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Ollie the Robot is now customizable with 3D Printing

For those that have seen the Ollie robot, you know how many hours of fun it can provide. This super fast, twirly, jumping, trickster of a robot is controlled via a smartphone and can drive on virtually any terrain. Now the makers of Ollie, Go Sphero, have teamed with Makers Empire to launch their own app which allows users to design their own 3D printable files for custom hubcaps and armour. The app is free, and once the designs are complete, you can download the STL file to print them out yourself at home (for $1.29), or purchase the armour and hubcaps from Makers Empire at a fee. Do any of you have an Ollie? Read and see more at:

I briefly owned two different Ollies. The second was because I thought that the first had to be defective. Every time (and I do mean every darn time) you have it do one of it's pre-programmed spin tricks, it loses orientation. That means stopping what you're doing and recalibrating the darn thing. As an owner of many types of RC gear (including multiple quads), I feel that this is totally unacceptable.

How crummy is it when you bring it outside to let it strut it's stuff for friends and family (and strangers!), get it out about 50 feet where you can't quite see which way it's facing, have it do a trick and then... have to do the "walk of shame" (common RC phrase for when you have to go get your gear after a mishap) so that you can see it clearly and re-calibrate it...