Close

Weld3D - Affordable Metal 3D Printer

Alabama-based Weld3D is set to revolutionize at-home 3D printing by developing the technology for metal-based 3D printing. They have already successfully printed complex geometries and designs out of metal. While their current technology uses an arc welder, they plan to release a product that can be fitted to personal CNC machines, so that the barriers and cost of entry are lessened. Weld3D is on track to release results of several mechanical property tests within weeks, and over the coming months additional photos, videos, and data will be release allowing individuals to even build their own metal printers. See more details in the full article: http://3dprint.com/20373/weld3d-metal-3d-printing/

Below is an image of an in-progress 3D print using an arc welder:

Senior Engineer
    40 years ago I had a oxy acetylene welding torch that had a chamber on the nozzle that held a container of metal powder. This allowed me to rebuild crankshafts that were too worn to be ground by adding metal and grinding down to the required size.

Seems to me to have taken a long time to add that to an XYZ CNC mechanism.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    MIG welding is basically a 3d printing pen if you use it right. It feeds filler material from a spool through the welding tip.

Like Mjolinor said, it's surprising how long it has taken. There are heat and contaminate (air, the weld spot is usually surrounded by a bubble of inert gas, ie Argon for Tig and Mig) issues that would need to be addressed, but I can't see why It can't be done. One of my final 'projects' while learning to Tig weld was to butt weld two razor blades, sharp ends, together without using filler. I then was able to T weld the same. If I, a hobbyist welder, can obtain that level of accuracy by hand, I can only imagine what skilled welders can put together in something like this.

Of course, getting the object to come of the print bed may be an issue. I doubt hair spray or a glue stick is the answer.....

It's been a couple of years. What happened? if anything?