Close

xyz printing da vinci

Anyone knows wether this printer is any good? the pricerange seems nice, and more importantly, i can have it shipped to Denmark where i live. Does anyone own this device?

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I've had it for a few months and quite satisfied with it. That said, I am new to the industry, and I'm already thinking about a DIY machine with a much larger bed.

It prints out of the box, comes precalibrated (I just hit my 75th hour of printing and just recalibrated it). The software is pretty nice, but nothing special. It's aimed at the entry level user I'm assuming, so everything is pretty user friendly. Given the PrintrBot of the same price only does 100mm cubes, and this does 200mm, and given it's fully enclosed, which the printrbot is not, made it a fairly easy purchase.

Some caveats though:

1) It's filament is proprietary. As shipped, you have to purchase their filaments. The price is higher than comparable filaments, and the quality is not the best. That said though, I have haven't had too many complaints about the print quality..... yet (I have yet to try other brands). It's the same scam that Ink Jet printers run. Make the printer for dirt cheap, but sell the proprietary cartridges for a high price. That's where they are trying to make their money.

2) The Firmware and software are very "big brotherish". The software reports usage back to XYZ. The latest firmware upgrade is reported to prevent flashing of the cartridges. (You can reset the data on a used cartridge, allowing you to use 3rd party filament). I have completely firewalled the software right now, preventing it from upgrading or reporting. Apparently you can still revert the firmware to a more user friendly version, but they're apparently working against that, to prevent the DIY modder from using 3rd party filaments. So if you get one, and you plan on modding it, immediately firewall it before updating anything, to make sure you're at a point that you can still revert back to a version that is more user friendly.

Would I buy another?

Yes.

But I'd look hard at other brands for my second printer before purchasing. But for my first printer? I'm happy enough that I would do it again. I did enter this industry though with the blinders on, so if you have much practical experience with other printers, look around a bit. But from my experience, it seems to be a good purchase at the size of prints and price point.

As to shipping? I don't know. I got mine through amazon, so your local amazon might have it. Contact XYZ directly to see if it's available there.