Close

Clean Part Separation from Raft?

The ABS 20mm test part file that came with the CTC Rep dual separates from the raft nice and clean - with the bottom looking nearly as nice as the top.
    In testing my designs, the base of the part pulls away but leaves a rough surface which would need to be cleaned up quite a bit with sanding. The temps and speeds used are identical to the test part.

In subsequent builds, I have raised the part off the base/raft from .2mm to .8mm, then used "supports" and still not much has changed.

Any tips in part design to get a smooth base to separate like the provided sample?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    I've never had a part separate from the raft without leaving that texture on the bottom. And so, I don't use rafts anymore.

If you're using the raft to fight corner lift, see http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...d-Corner-lift/
    Last edited by Davo; 10-14-2014 at 06:37 AM.

I have lowered the HBP temp to a surface temp of 58-60c, actual setting for my machine is 85c down from the factory setting of 110c. I am using a 3/16 glass plate and Suave hair spray. This is creating a smooth pull from the raft, almost as clean as the top surfaces. An IR thermometer is a great addition along with the leveling dial caliper tool. This is for ABS. Also increased nozzle to 235c in the settings for better fusing.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    That's interesting, because 235C and 65C with Aqua Net on glass are how we print without rafts at all.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    use blue tape, pla and no raft.

Also try makerware for better rafts or simplify3d for better layer control to avoid rafts.

Oh yeah and move over the the flashforge section - basically the wanhao, ctc and flashforge creator are all the same machine :-)
    http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay...ashForge-Forum