Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

3D Print Your Own Famous Comet - 67/P

This week the European Space Agency (ESA) and NASA, released data that will enable scientists and amateur space enthusiasts alike to 3D print their own versions of the famous comet, 67P/Churyumov-Gersimenko--”67P” for short. The new information was provided by the orbiter, Rosetta, the comet-chasing spacecraft equipped with a camera with an equally intriguing mythical name, Osiris. The’ve shared the data-set and 3D model in .wrl and .obj formats for printing this preliminary model of 67P. Rosetta is scheduled to land on the comet in mid-November of 2014, so exciting new discoveries lie ahead as do updated 3D-printed versions of 67P.

Read more at: http://3dprint.com/17754/comet-67p-3d-print

Hello Eddie,

I opened both files in Cinema4D and created a Quicktime movie of the comet rotating... Fun!

But, it's not very detailed? I was hoping for more detail. It also, neither of them, are in color? I added Earth/Dirt color to one of them.

But they both (both files, obj and wrl) are full 3D images !

JOHNAVATAR.com