Close

Engineer-in-Training

Help with finding print settings through G-Code.

So recently I had to reformat my main computer that had all of my Slic3r settings saved. The one I need to find is the Bed Size and Print Center, as I am running a printer that is a prototype.

Is there a way to find this in a previous gcode that I saved? If so can someone help me? The last time I just had to try different numbers for a few hours to get the printer to print in the middle. So if anyone can help me it will help me save a few hours!

I was using Slic3r 1.1.7

If you go into Printer Settings in Slic3r, you can set the Bed Size in terms of Maximum X and Y. then you can set Print Centre in terms of X and Y.

I have an 8 x 8 (200 mm x 200mm) bed, so I have X = 200; Y = 200 for bed size, and X = 100; Y = 100 for print centre.

You just need to enter these X and Y values to suit the size and shape of your print bed.

NOTE: By entering X = 100 and Y = 100, I am telling the software that the Origin (or 0,0) point of my printer is in the lower left corner. Therefore all values for X and Y produced for my Gcode are arithmetically positive (ie. X & Y >= 0)

OME

Print center should be the first x an y movement after homing. Look for the G28 instruction, which homes the printer, then look for the next X and Y movement instruction - that should be to move the head to the center of the print bed ready for the print to begin.

Code:
    M104 S195 ; set temperature
    G21 ; set units to mm
    G90 ; absolute distance mode
    M92 E882 ; E axis steps per mm
    M301 W125
    G1 Z5 F200 ; Set Z to 5mm
    G28 ; home
    M109 S185 ; Set extruder temp
    G1 X5 Y7 F9000 ; Set x to 5; Y to 7 mm
    M109 S195 ; wait for temperature to be reached
    G90 ; use absolute coordinates
    G21 ; set units to millimeters
    G92 E0 ; reset extrusion distance
    M83 ; use relative distances for extrusion
    M107
    G1 Z0.300 F7800.000
    G1 X54.892 Y31.286
    You can see the G28 in the example above, and the instruction to move to the center of the print bed in the last line.

Unfortunately, there generally isn't a gcode instruction that sets the print bed size (that gets sent to the printer by Slic3r in the normal course of things). Can you not measure it? If all else fails, double the X and Y values given in the move-to-center instruction.

I have a familiar problem. Thanks old man emu for help