Close

Students 3D Print a Submarine Propeller for Race

The University of Michigan Human Powered Submarine team has turned to a Michigan based company called Burton Precision to 3D print them a propeller for a human powered submarine for a race that takes place each years. Burton 3D printed the part on a 3D Systems Projet 3500 HDMax, and it turned out to work almost perfectly. More details on this story can be found here: http://3dprint.com/10504/human-powered-submarine/

Check out a picture of the 3D printed prop below:

Hi,

I know this is quite a late reply but this is of particular interest for me. I am part of the team from the University of Southampton (UK) that also competed at the same competition. Being our first year we didnt manage to do amazingly well but we also decided to go down the route of a 3d printed propeller as you can see below. We however did all of the 3d printing in house and produced the propeller in multiple parts.

I would be very interested to hear the thoughts from the
    University of Michigan Human Powered Submarine team as to what they thought of using 3d printing for parts such as the propeller and how much insight they gained by going through an existing company.
    Prop-3d.jpg

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Rofl! I used to take my girlfriends down to the beach to watch the submarine races when I was a teenager. Who knew they really have submarine races