Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

MOTA 3D Printer - Priced at $99-$499 Hits Kickstarter

There is yet another affordable 3D printer hitting Kickstarter. Launching today, the MOTA 3D Printer was priced starting at only $99. Of course these 50 'early backer' units sold out almost instantly, but there are still units available for $299. It's an FDM based printer which features a specialized filament cartridge systems, and an enclosed build platform.

Here are the specs:

• Maximum Print Size: 6.5 x 6.1 x 6.1 inches
    • Printable Materials: ABS and PLA
    • Technology Used: FDM
    • Print Speed - Up to 120mm/sec
    • Positioning Pecision (X, Y, Z): X&Y 11; Z 2.5 microns
    • Layer Thickness (Z): 0.1mm - 0.3mm
    • Wall Thickness: 0.4mm
    • Print Head: 0.4mm
    • Layer Resolution: 100 microns
    • Weight: 40 lbs.
    • Input Format: STL

Read more on this at: http://3dprint.com/8487/mota-3d-printer/

Any backers here?

I have backed this, I sadly missed the 99 dollar version one.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpendleton View Post
    I have backed this, I sadly missed the 99 dollar version one.
    Hope you're ready for delays as with most all ks hardware projects. There is no reason to donate them your $300 and wait a year when you can pick up something now for a similar amount or less. Printrbot Simple is $350 on amazon and the OneUp printer is $200. I know the printrbot is good, don't follow the OneUp so I can't comment on it. No consumers have the Mota so it will be a surprise for all.

Staff Engineer
    QU-BD OneUp was/is a fiasco, and KS wishes we would all forget about it...

The vast majority of crowd funded hardware projects are delayed and/or failures, but each one still gets backed in the hopes that this one is the one that ships on time and on budget with the promised performance intact.

To sum up; good luck.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    QU-BD OneUp was/is a fiasco, and KS wishes we would all forget about it...
    That sounds like good reading ahead, must look it up Another 3d printer disaster is the $200 Makibot printer.

Staff Engineer
    Well, the road to a sub $300 3D printer is one filled with perils (both for buyer and seller), but the reward is certainly enticing for each as well. Many of the Repraps get close, but it seems like there's a pretty hard $500 floor to the prices that only a few kits in development seem to have a hope of getting below. Without a different method of printing entirely or designing specifically for economy of scale (and having the rescources to actually take advantage of such a scale) there's very little hope of getting to the magic price.

Student
    Has anyone else noticed that they state on both their Kickstarter campaign and on their website that the printer uses "Stereolithography" technology??? Someone might want to point out to them the difference between FDM and Stereolithography 3D printing.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorke View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that they state on both their Kickstarter campaign and on their website that the printer uses "Stereolithography" technology??? Someone might want to point out to them the difference between FDM and Stereolithography 3D printing.
    Oh god. You aint kidding. Its under: Additional Information. Run forest, run.

Additional Information:

• AC Input: AC100-240V; 50/60 Hz
    • DC Voltage: 12V
    • Amperage: 20A
    • Positioning Precision (Micron)(X,Y,Z): X&Y 11µm; Z 2.5µm
    • Filament Type: Proprietary
    • Model Support: Auto-generated Support
    • Input Format: STL
    • Storage Temperature: 59°F ~ 86°F
    • Operating Temperature: 374°F ~ 428°F
    • Relative Humidity: 20% ~ 50%
    • Technology: Proprietary, Stereolithography
    • Warranty: 30 days manufacturer warranty, Service Plans available

I beg to differ about the OneUp (not a backer) it seems like they have delivered a vast majority of the pledges (like 90%+). It seems that almost all of the whining is that they were late and that they weren't issuing tracking numbers. A little annoying for sure but certainly not a fiasco as the vast majority of those that have them seem happy with them for the money. Two of my buddies have them and they are great little printers if you don't mind the build size and they can print just as well as advertised.

Actually now that I am looking into it further, QU-BD seems to be the only one that has delivered a lot of printers and not raised the price. Pirate 3D is allegedly shipping next year, Makibox is all but dead, everyone else in the low price realm (except Printrbot) seems to have miscalculated the cost to sell a printer.

With that being said...buyer beward on Kickstarter for the reasons mentioned above for EVERY PROJECT. They are almost all late and do not live up to the original claims.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast