Close

Driverless Cars to Drive Innovation in 3D BioPrinting

I know the two technologies may seem miles apart, however MakerBot's CEO Bre Pettis brought up a very good point yesterday in an interview. He said that once Driverless cars are on the market that the supply of organ donations will dramatically decline. This is because of the tens of thousands of lives which will be saved every year from a lack traffic accidents. More details on what he said can be found here: http://3dprint.com/6032/driverless-cars-3d-bioprinting

What this means is that there will be a severe shortage of organs for transplants, leading to a spur of innovation within the field of bioprinting. Companies like Organovo are already printing parts of 3D printed human organs.

What do you think? Is this an adequate prediction by Pettis?

Staff Engineer
    I'm confident that organ manufacturing will be well along to production before driverless cars become universally adopted.

Engineer-in-Training
    Um, okay. I'm annoyed with Bre's opinions, I wish people wouldn't give him any attention to his opinions outside of the his product line (which are of course, just fantastic, a line served with a slick smile).