Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don't know about the auto level. Didn't get that feature. I printed a holder for a dial indicator and leveled the bed that way. Adjust the endstop to adjust Z height and let it rip.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    the micro switch on z was, is, and always will be problematic. if your x carriage is in the air and you home it you get a different height than if you are already home and you home it. And if you let it sit homed overnight and then home it you will get a different height. For this reason alone z axis micro switches are a loosing proposition. The inductive probe is the best method because of cost but it requires an aluminum bed as it will not read the glass. The BLtouch will read any surface just fine but it is expensive. I have both of these and have nothing but good things to say about either. There is also a capacitive sensor that is supposed to read anything as well but it is every bit as unreliable and inconsistent as the micro switch.

I was eluding to the fact that I only had to level the bed with the dial indicator, adjust the end stop and that was it. The issue I have see is the X axis dropping on the right side if left overnight with the left side down on the endstop. This is where the dial indicator really shines. Instead of trying to get a measurement with a ruler and your eyeball, I can set the dial indicator on the smooth rods and be within a hair of .001".

If you want to get really technical, the micro switch is the best available switch/z probe there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLzC...g&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il9bNWn66BY&t=114s
    Last edited by number40Fan; 09-05-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    oh I am all about the technical. and let me tell you that wear vs. non wear is an argument for a very long time ago. Sensors that are optical or do not touch anything will never wear or loose their adjustment on their own. The mechanical part sees wear each and every time it is operated so it will never stop changing its position because it will never stop wearing, however slow it might be under the best of circumstances. I am a mechanic and let me tell you, I have funded and entire life and raised a family off of mechanical shit wearing down. That is the downfall to all things mechanical. Optical and inductive sensors are not subject to this or any kind of wear and 1,000,000 cycles and 50 years from now they will still perform to the same spec as when they were setup if not disturbed.

And just because you saw something on youtube doesn't make it right. I can post up youtube videos that teach the earth is flat.

I have an IR Probe on my delta, so I am not discounting their ability. But, it will eventually stop working on its own. You know the saying...nothing but death and taxes.....

Engineer-in-Training
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Ya the electronics that drive the sensor will break down. you're right. nothing but death and taxes. lol but in theory I mean.

I did see someone that removed the metal lever from the micro switch and got better performance out of it. I think that lever is what causes the problems with homing from a height vs. homing from home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12