Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

AstroPrint Launching on Kickstarter This Month - 3D Print Wirelessly and more!

There is a new Kickstarter project that is scheduled to launch on May 19th. It's for AstroPrint, which is a really cool new solution to allow you to simplify the 3D printing process, as well as keep it organized in the cloud. AstroPrint allows you to print wirelessly from your smartphone, tablet, PC or laptop. It seems like a really cool idea.

Read more about this upcoming Kickstarter project at: http://3dprint.com/3078/astroprint-kickstarter/

Let us know what you think. Will you consider backing this when it launches?

Many printers don't have much in terms of connectivity (see creatr from leapfrog for instance). So i think it's a deal. And i looked at the manual to setup octoprint for the printrbot GO : it's doable but not open to just anyone. The added simplification would be welcome.
    But i'd be even more interested if they announced real features in the slicing area :
    - possibility to have different layer heights in infill and external profile.
    - some features like the topolabs project.
    - smart code features including retex from users (temp gradient in the first layers,...) and simplified gcode insertions (pauses,...) for non experts.

Student
    @LambdaFF, Thanks so much for your words of encouragement and suggestions.

We are currently using Slic3r in our cloud slicer. In the near future we plan to add Cura & Makerbot. We feel that Slic3r is a good base though and we plan to contribute to that project going forward to make sure that we help make it a world class slicer for the future.

Hi Lambda,
    We couldn't agree more. We feel that most of the software out there is catered for a very tech savvy audience. We are making AstroPrint simple enough that anyone can set it up and use it, but the power users can also find all the settings they need.
    There will be little to no set up necessary for AstroPrint. We will be offering a pre configured "box" that is simply plug and play. No need to download anything and no need to update.
    We definitely have the infill layer height and gcode insertions on our short term development list, the topolabs is something we'll have to look into.

One question that came to me : will it be necessary to be wifi connected throughout the print or will it be possible to just upload a batch and connect occasionnally ?

There are two ways to connect to the printer. The AstroBox creates its own local wifi network. This allows you to connect to the printer when you are near it, even if you do not have internet.

The second way to connect will be to log in to your account at AstroPrint.com (free) and print from there.

We will store your files for you, so you can upload a batch and then print whenever you like.

OK. But for, say, a 7 hours print. I live in Europe but still it's not far fetched to think I could have a wifi reboot/downtime in the middle. What then ? Is the print saved in the module and goes on or can I write it off ?

Student
    Once the print starts, you only need the printer connected to the box. The gcode file is local on the box. The box doesn't rely on Internet connectivity to perform the print. Does this answer your question?

Thank you arroyo.

I'm looking forward to the launch! Can't wait to see this in action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast