Close

2030's Mission to Mars to rely Heavily on 3D Printing

We all knew that 3D printing was important to NASA, however the technology will end up being one of the keys to any successful Mars Mission. NASA's Chief, Charles Bolden gave a speech the other day outlining a 3 step plan to get to the red planet. Additive manufacturing on board spacecraft was a very important part. 3D Printing will allow astronauts to have available a variety of good without having to weigh down the spacecraft by supplying an inventory.

http://3dprint.com/2577/nasa-manned-...s-3d-printing/

What do you think about the prospect of a manned mission in Mars in the next 15-20 years?

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Honestly, I have no words.

Sometimes I wish I was born about ten-fifteen years earlier, so I could have been at the forefront of the computer revolution.
    Then I sit at my desk and look at my printer and think "What the hell am I talking about".

Now this, we might be going to Mars! It's hard to imagine that the same technology that's sitting on my desk at home, and in the Computer Lab at school might be the key to going to Mars. But then, it's the same thing with computers as well, no?

Banned
    That's the wrong way to look at it Mystery. The future is going to have so many more incredible advances. I wish I was born 50 years later. I'd probably have a great chance of living until I'm 300. The exponential process of technology is incredibly fast.

Technician
    The fact that we have not yet made it to Mars is quite disappointing.