Close

Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    Technologist
    Can you export just the database and see if that is ok on a different machine ( either vm or host)

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Dunno, my brain hurt last night, so I called it a day - I'll get back to it over the weekend, or friday night.

My aluminium engineering mates had a slight problem, so while I was there I got the build plate and bottom baseplate cut.
    build plate is 5mm - we went for 380mm in the end, gives me plenty edge to drill in for the 5mm bolts, or larger if necessary. It's a serious chunk of metal !
    I'm assuming the printbite will loose that yellow tint when I take the backing off. Currently leaving the backing on the build plate as well till I'm ready to stick the printbite to it.

3mm Baseplate, solely to add rigidity. Once I've got some idea where stuff goes on the top, I'll get another one cut.

The white is the protective layer, on the right of this pic you can see the plastic covered side of the disc that I'll print on.

What I'll do with the plate is use 2 bolts to fix a mounting bracket to the strut and the spring and 5mm bolts will go into the bracket screw up really tight so there's only a tiny amount of play in the spring. I should be able to keep the whole arrangement rigid, so none of the wobbling issues you get with the long thin bolts on the k200.
    There shouldn't be enough heat going through the bolts to ever melt the plastic.

I'll check, worst case scenario I can get some aluminium ones made :-)
    The balance sheet is still currently in my favour.

I think all i got left is to finish the corner peices, carriages and effector (all, lol), build it, make it work and then get the top reinforcement bars/control panel mounts made and the top aluminium plate fitted. And a myriad of other 'little' jobs: control panel and wifi unit housing, extruder (although that might not be an issue as I've got the one I took from the flashforge and as I'm now using a nema 17 and flying extruder it's a straight fit) still need to make the suspended 'cradle', Filament holder, cable routing, endstop mounts, measurements for the smoothieware, thread the end holes in the uprights etc :-)

Once I've got it working properly (optimism :-) I can make the - probably two part - cover for the top that will protect the psu board, motors etc.
    It'll probably have a face of some kind - I like to anthropomorphisise all my stuff. :-)

Practically done ;-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-16-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Technologist
    CA, whats happening with your build. It been 10 days and no update. You know I am living vicariously thru your BB build. Anything new?
    Question: I noticed that your PrintBite is slightly smaller that the aluminum heat bed. I ASSUME that is the actual build size. Is there any reason that you did not cover the whole bed plate, and just make (drill ) holes for the mounting adjustment screws? I am about to order my printbite ( had to use vise grips to remove a small circular build :-( ) for my K200 and wondering if I should use 200 or the full 220 mm diameter and drill out the mounting adjustment holes.

you need to leave a gap round the edge for mounting holes.
    you only want the 200mm printbite.

Printbite is not cheap so only buy what you need.
    I've left a 15mm rim on the build plate for mounting purposes, 5 or 6mm bolts.
    Likewise the heatpad is also 350mm.

Currently been sidetracked by another project.
    Building a full size sling target from 40mm polypropylene pipe: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1510836848

My current balearic target is made from wood and really heavy and takes about 20 minutes to put up and take down. Hopefully the new one will be at least as strong, but is really easy to carry and put up and take down.
    As england's only half decent slinger, I desperately need to get some target practice in before the international in Mallorca next march. Hopefully this will help :-)
    There's a giant austrian, In particular, I've made it my goal to beat next year.
    Met my goals for this year, but next year I'd quite like another trophy - and the only way to do that is to practice, practice and then practice a bit more.
    Most of the competitor have somewhere they can leave a permament target set up. I don't.
    Anything left in my friends field would vanish overnight.
    So I desperately need a tough, lightweight, easy to deploy full size balearic target.
    I'm in some of these videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/davidmorningstar/videos

Still got an angled bracket to make and then I can start screwing things together for the back supports :-)

In other news, my mate acquired a 6mm thread tapping kit for me - so I'm been threading the ends of the main struts. That way the corner pieces and feet can be bolted on for a really secure and solid fit.
    Haven't really looked, but also possible I can get a bolt through the corner piece to the side pieces as well. Which would be good.

Once I've got the slinging target made I'll be back on the BB - I'd like to get it made before new year :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-27-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Technologist
    You certainly have interesting hobbies / sports. Have fun and good luck on your new movable target.

lol just do a general search for 'curious aardvark' I get around :-)

I'm also the only brit on the worlds most popular bbq/food smoking forum.
    www.smoked-meat.com

One of the very first things I made when i got a 3d printer, were stuffing tubes for my sausage stuffer :-)

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    lol just do a general search for 'curious aardvark' I get around :-)

I'm also the only brit on the worlds most popular bbq/food smoking forum.
    www.smoked-meat.com

One of the very first things I made when i got a 3d printer, were stuffing tubes for my sausage stuffer :-)
    Yeah, kind of noticed your footprints around the web. ;-)
    My sons are into smoking meat. Just had a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving. It was great. The oldest made a ( well 2) smoker out of a 55Gal drum and other parts. They both work great.

drum smokers are actually really good and most garages will give you empty drums for free.
    The most basic is just a couple hanging rods at the top, slightly raised charcoal basket at the bottom and a couple air inlets.
    Even seen them turn out decent ribs, which is weird as the ribs are hanging down and you'd think there would be significant temperature differences.

It's on my list, lol

So after diagnosing a poorly keyboard on laptop, took it apart to discover there is no way to remove the old keyboard short of destroying the top plate. The bastards have caged the keyboard beneath a metal sheet that is plastic riveted to the top plate, no screws at all !
    The keyboard keys poke through holes in the top plate.
    Why????????????????????????

Had a quick go at the corner piece to end the day on a positive note. Added long channels so that the side pieces can actually be bolted in on the long axis. Between that, the side rails and the two side locking bolts, should be plenty rigid. Once you add the aluminium base and top plates, I'm wondering if I'll still need the extra supports I was going to add about 2/3 of the way up the frame.

Technologist
    Drum smoker - they have a rack for charcoal mid way or so, and a rack for meat up top. Used a round grill cover for the top. Adjustable air vents at the bottom. Looks and works great.

I would continue to add supports. Even though your using 40x40(?) aluminum, extra bracing cannot hurt anything except your wallet.

Oh, and I ordered Print Bite. 200 mm. Cant wait for it. Probably a week. Also going to change the firmware to the 1.0 Dev level for the bed distortion correction, although I doubt I will need it with the PrintBite.

yeah uds - ugly drum smoker. Good cookers.

Supports won't cost anything, aluminium :-)
    I'm using 30x30
    Just to be awkward :-)

So on the 1.0 does it actually do an auto calbration ? Or is it the same nonsense with the numbers thing, that doesn't actually work ?

Didn't you buy the auto calibration software ? or was that someone else ?

Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast