Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

Can I change the speed of filament loading in Sailfish 7.6 ?

reason being my klic-n-print has modified extruders for flexible filaments, but I still have problems loading ninja and filaflex.
    And the main reason is that it loads filaments too fast and the really flexible ones still get jammed.
    If I could slow the loading speed of new filament I think it would solve the problem completely.

I can load the slightly stiffer flexibles with almost no issues, occasionally have to back up and have a second shot. But I have a fair amount of filaflex and ninjaflex and a good commercial use for it and it just won't load. I'm certain if I could slow the filament load speed it would solve the issue.

So is there any way to do this ?

I have just found a menu item labelled eeprom. Which said: 'this could brick your printer press up to continue.'
    I have not pressed up yet :-)

Super Moderator
    Could you make a file that is like a print to load the filament? Flexion did this for their extruder to unload filament since the extruder doesn't have a release and if you weren't running a slicer that you could get to do that.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Eprom is the flash memory associated directly with the processor/controller chip. It'd be ok to view the data, but I wouldn't change much of anything. If you're lucky, it'll have an explanation as to what each data value represents, but I'd assume not. If it did, then it might allow you to change the loading speed.

If you have access to the original sketch/code that is loaded onto the board, and a way to load it, then I'd feel more comfortable playing with the Eprom data. If you do have access to the code, you can look through it to find out what memory address the loading speed is kept, and you might be able to change it in that setting.

yeah was thinking something like that.

Was also thinking along the same lines as whirly bird.

Can't see why not, I can start a print in mid air and set it for very slow print on a small rectangle and 0.05 layer height. That 'should' do it.

But it seems daft that you can't simply change the loading speed for new filaments. Guess when the firmware was written flexible filaments weren't around.

Right I'll go try the print loading method :-)

Super Moderator
    Search Flexion's site for their filament unload gcode and it may be a good example to reverse engineer to use it to load. If I can find it later I will attach. Had it but never needed to use it.

Technologist
    If the printer accepts simple g-code files, you could try something like this:

M109 S200 ; set and wait hotend temp. Adjust S200 to fit your needs
    G1 E30 F50; tell extruder to move30mm of filament, at slow speed. Adjust values as needed, i.e raise F if more speed is needed and E if more lenght is needed.
    M104 S0 ; turn off heating

Save as .gcode and print. But as I don't know what type of G-Code this particular printer understands, might not work. Still those are quite basic commands so shouldn't hurt to try.

set up a 10mm cube floating 110mm off the bed. printing at 0.05mm and 1mm/s speed.

Worked a treat :-)

It's actually easier than normal loading as you can change the extruder temp to whatever you like without messing about with the control panel :-)

First time I've been able to get the red filaflex to actually load.
    Now to try a print.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Filing this one away for future use, thanks guys.

I did need to hold the lever down and push the filament into the feed tube, but it worked fine.
    With normal loading and unloading I never use the lever.

used 100% infill on the cube and the overall print time for a 1cm cube was listed as 19 hours !
    So yeah, very very very slow :-)
    Just make a file for both extruders, keep on the memory card and use whenever using very flexible filaments.

The thing I printed, printed well - but half thickness, which muct be my fault as it was solid with no gapping. Given that it should have been 0.6mm and was 0.33 - somewhere down the line I messed up :-)

Ah filament got wrapped round holder spindle. Not me.
    The filaflex comes on a very small, totally full spool. So I guess could be prone to this kind of thing. There is literally no rim. Filament ends at the very edge of the spool.
    Might have ta respool onto a larger reel - Of fit a cardboard rim. Yeah that would be easier :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-30-2017 at 03:17 PM.