Close

Administrator

More Arrests, 3D Printed Gun Fears in Australia

Australia and its 3D printed gun woes are back in the news. Over the weekend, police raids of a Melbourne organized crime group turned up 14 guns as well as a 3D printer suspected to have been used for gun fabrication. Two stolen vehicles, cash and drugs were also allegedly seized during the raid, and seven men and two women were arrested. The incident was the second raid involving guns and 3D printers within a few weeks’ time. Read more at 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/158490/3d-printed-gun-arrests-melbourne/

Engineer-in-Training
    Why is this such a concern? This is another media overblowing of the subject. You can do a whole lot more damage with a hand controlled mill and lathe sans the broaching of the bore. Thank god i live in the US where i can just buy one and ammo at the local store with proper id and waiting period and have to worry about the thing blowing me up.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    It's a concern - becuase people who would never think to make a gun via the traditional methods will happily print one out.
    Also - and the most important aspect. These are unlicenced and untraceable guns that can be used once and completely disposed of in a fire.

It is a somewhat odd issue, as in the uk you need a firearms licence tobuy ammunition, not sure about Oz. So in the uk if you want to make a gun, you need a supply of illegal ammo anyway, so whoever sells you the ammo will most likely sell you a gun as well.

The gun is actually the easiest part to make. It's the ammunitions that makes the difference.

Engineer-in-Training
    It is legal to make a firearm for personal use here in the US. It is illegal to manufacture one for resale.

Guns that are bought from and individual (not a dealer under a FFL) as used are also not traced or licensed. Also in the US you only need to be an adult to buy ammunition. They even sell it at hardware, general and big box stores. All components to make your own ammunition is also readily available. There are a wide range of gun powders, primers etc... that are available to anyone of age.

I guess it may be an issue in other parts of the world but it's a complete non issue here in the US.